KNX how to: 2 basic questions

Thierry Vanroy

Aug 9, 2015, 7:20:15 AM8/9/15
to CommandFusion Software
I have two basic questions:

1. To connect iViewer to a KNX installation, do you just need an IP Interface? Or is Michael's plugin a must? The wiki is a bit dated, it talks about BOAS IP interfaces, which a Dutch company (see appleknx.nl) used to deliver with a guide, ETS and guidesigner demo, but I don't think they do so anymore.

2. Can iViewer handle server functions like ayControl's Ecopilot can? So most basic example: if someone pressed an actual switch somewhere in the house, then it sends a signal to iViewer which then switches a light on? Or is the app more passive?

Barry Gordon

Aug 9, 2015, 1:26:56 PM8/9/15
to comman...@googlegroups.com

1) I know nothing about KNX, but if KNX can communicate over IP then iViewer can talk to it.  If Michael's plugin talks to KNX then what I said is obviously true.  People write plugins for others to use to make it easier for them to communicate with external systems.

2) I know nothing about ayControl's Ecopilot. If a device can communicate over IP using TCP or UDP then it can directly talk to iViewer. I know of very few switches that natively communicate using IP. Most switches I am familiar with use some sort of radio based systems. There are however controllers (reasonably priced devices) that communicate with switches, lights, etc and then will communicate the information over IP to iViewer. I use the UDI ISY994 controller which can deal with Z-Wave devices and Insteon devices and communicates to iViewer using TCP/IP. My pool control systems is made by Autelis. It deals with the Jandy pool syste's RS485 bus and then communicates with iViewer using TCP/IP and UDP/IP.

In general anything that communicates using TCP/IP or UDP/IP can communicate with iViewer. It just takes some good documentation (not always there) on the protocol being used, and an ability to write code (Javascript) will also help.

Jarrod Bell

Aug 10, 2015, 2:45:36 AM8/10/15
to comman...@googlegroups.com
1. Any KNX to Ethernet bridge/gateway will work, you just need to know the commands.
The plugin helps generate those for you, but you can still create your own commands and feedback processing if you need.

The upcoming iViewer 5 makes this simpler with a module we have written for the BAOS gateway. Hate to talk about it before it's released, but it will really make it easier for complex protocols like KNX.

2. The app has to be in the foreground, running on a device for it to be able to process data such as switch button presses. Some people have a dedicated iPad to do this (always on, wall mounted or similar) but usually an always-on controller (like our hardware or similar) is used for this task (processing rules from incoming data).

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com