Control of Polycom EagleEye III (MPTZ-9) cameras

Klaus

Sep 10, 2018, 4:35:50 PM9/10/18
to CommandFusion Software
I would like to control EagleEye III cameras directly through RS-232 (using the HDCI breakout-cable).

Unfortunately there is no protocol available, but Crestron has a "Polycom EagleEye module". Is there any possibility to get the "raw" protocol (at least for some major commands) - to use it in CF?

Jarrod Bell

Sep 10, 2018, 7:15:55 PM9/10/18
to comman...@googlegroups.com
If you have a crestron box you could hook it up to your PC serial port (or USB to serial adapter) and intercept the commands.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

On 11/9/18 6:35 am, Klaus wrote:
I would like to control EagleEye III cameras directly through RS-232 (using the HDCI breakout-cable).

Unfortunately there is no protocol available, but Crestron has a "Polycom EagleEye module". Is there any possibility to get the "raw" protocol (at least for some major commands) - to use it in CF?

Klaus

Sep 11, 2018, 2:41:12 PM9/11/18
to CommandFusion Software
Good idea if I would have a Crestron box - but I don't have one...

But I have a Polycom HDX 8000 (video conference codec) connected to the camera.
I disconnected the camera, hooked up my PC serial port instead and intercepted one short command:
"Move to the left"
A serial capture program (RealTerm) received this HEX:
83 45 01 11 82 45 02 82 01 50 82 45 05 82 01 50 82 45 0E 82 03 02

I copied this HEX and sent it to the camera. But no reaction...
Switched RX and TX, no reaction...
Hm...

Terence

Sep 11, 2018, 11:51:56 PM9/11/18
to CommandFusion Software
Try to add a \x0D\x0A to the end of the hex string.

However, I'm curious whether there is any specific reason why you want to control the camera directly instead via the codec? It is easier to use the commands available for camera control via the codec and if you need the camera to be at a specific position and image size, save it as a preset and just send the command to recall the preset?

Klaus

Sep 12, 2018, 4:12:27 PM9/12/18
to CommandFusion Software
Of course I tried that.
But you are right - it's getting too complicated (maybe it has just attracted me to find a solution for a direct control...). Of course I can use the codec in between.