Using Siri with Umlauts (äöüß)

Bernd

Aug 18, 2013, 5:50:36 AM8/18/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I'm using Siri on my iPad and it is working fine, but if I want Siri to act on a word with an Umlaut. She's not finding a Match :(
I also tried value.replace("ä", "ae") and wrote it to the log, to see what the replace looks like. But
value.replace is not working  :(
Anybody used Siri in German ?

Thanks in Advance
Regards Bernd

Jarrod Bell

Aug 18, 2013, 6:40:49 PM8/18/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
One thing to check is that your JavaScript files are being saved in UTF-8 encoding.
You need to use a text editor that allows you to specify the encoding.

value.replace will return the replaced string, but not actually change the variable itself.
So you need to do: value = value.replace("ä", "ae")

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/String/replace

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Bernd

Aug 20, 2013, 3:12:40 AM8/20/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jarrod,

I've changed from MS-Editor to Notepad++.
I will test it after work when I'm at home ;)

THX

Bernd

Aug 22, 2013, 1:31:02 AM8/22/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jarrod,

it was the UTF-8 encoding.
With Notepad++ I saved the file as UTF-8 and now it is working.

THX

Jarrod Bell

Aug 22, 2013, 7:49:21 PM8/22/13
to comman...@googlegroups.com