Samsung RS232 via exlink

Fiasco

Jan 4, 2017, 11:45:11 PM1/4/17
to CommandFusion Software
At what point I had done a JS file on Samsungs but I can't find it anywhere.

I remember always hating their protocol but I digress.

To send a command vis 232 to my Samsung Pro video wall

PowerOn AA 11 FE 01 01 11
PowerOff AA 11 FE 00 01 11

Before checking my wiring I wanted to make sure I'm sending the code correctly.  This is what I'm sending in JS for poweroff

CF.send("SamsungWall", "AA11FE000111\r", CF.BINARY);

That looks correct doesn't it?

Jarrod Bell

Jan 4, 2017, 11:57:37 PM1/4/17
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I believe the commands are hex based for the Samsung Pro video wall, so you would need to send the bytes like this:

CF.send("SamsungWall", "\xAA\x11\xFE\x01\x01\x11\r", CF.BINARY);

Also, check your ID in the command (\xFE) is the correct ID assigned to the TV you are controlling.
Use \xFF to send to all units I think.

Your Power Off command looks like the 'length' byte is set to 00, that should be 01.

I think there is a checksum needed too, rather than ending with \r.
Should be sum of all bytes (except the AA header), if it exceeds FF (255) then just send the last byte of the total.

For Power On:
\x11 + \xFE + \x01 + \x01 + \x11 = \x01\x22, so use \x22 as the checksum
CF.send("SamsungWall", "\xAA\x11\xFE\x01\x01\x11\x22", CF.BINARY);

This is all taken from this doc in a quick google search:
http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/RS232_MX_CX_PDPseries.pdf

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Fiasco

Jan 5, 2017, 1:27:51 AM1/5/17
to CommandFusion Software
First off, How's it going Jarrod!  Happy New Year!

I'm pretty rusty.

How do I convert the ack response back to hex/english

Jarrod Bell

Jan 5, 2017, 1:44:00 AM1/5/17
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year!

Something like this:
https://gist.github.com/jarrodbell/7019329

Some other helpful snippets:
https://gist.github.com/jarrodbell/5159311

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Fiasco

Jan 5, 2017, 2:38:48 AM1/5/17
to comman...@googlegroups.com
Holy Cow!

I don't know if this is limited to these pro televisions (its a 4 panel Samsung UD55EB video wall) but power on via rs232/exlink actually turns the TV's on.  Not only that, I can actually query the TV's for their state!!!  ZOMG!!!

When I gave up on Samsung TV's several years ago you could not power on a Samsung from the exlink/232 port.  You could only power it off or issue other commands while it was powered on (volume, channel ect) and there was no feedback except an ACK or NOK response.  When I started digging for my rs232 JS file I finally found it.   There is actually a commented line in it that says *abandoned, protocol sucks, no response, no power on, must use IR*

The protocol still sucks of course.

These particular TV's are pretty cool though (protocol aside).  The bezel is 1.75mm thick so when you place them together in a wall the total distance between actual displays is only 3.5mm.

Each set is factory calibrated so that they display is uniform across all units in a wall.   If you make changes to one's video settings you can export it to a usb stick and import it to the other units instead of doing it manually/remote.  They are direct lit LED's so there's no light bleed or bloom on them either.

The video processor is built in to each TV so you can either send a signal to one TV and it will spread it across the wall or you can run each TV on it's own source and jump back and forth between video wall and individual sources.    You can scale the wall up to huge sizes with enough units and each TV is rated for 24hour/7day operation.   A bit on the pricey side though.

http://www.samsung.com/us/business/displays/digital-signage/LH55UDEBLBB/GO

Terence

Jan 5, 2017, 9:03:16 AM1/5/17
to CommandFusion Software
I did this simple GUI for RS232 control for a Samsung plasma video wall type display years ago that uses the MDC protocol. Had a brief re-look and the protocol looks the same - have a go at it and see if this helps you out.
SamsungMDC.gui.zip