Android 9 Error: CLEARTEXT communication not permitted

wouter grutt

Jun 22, 2019, 10:27:32 AM6/22/19
to CommandFusion Software
I'm having an issue with loading my project from the guiDesigner software onto my android phone with the new Android 9 version.

When loading I get the following error message: .
After some reading up on this, I found that Google has changed its network policy to no longer allow HTTP clear-text requests. It turns out this is a simple setting in the Android app, but I don't have access to that.
One of the proposed solutions is to change the requests from HTTP to HTTPS and this would fix the error, but the guiDesigner application only supports HTTP.
For now, I am going to try and set up a custom server with HTTPS support, but it would be great for Android development for guiDesigner to support HTTPS or for the app to enable ClearText over HTTP.

Andrew Kapsch

Jun 22, 2019, 10:42:34 AM6/22/19
to comman...@googlegroups.com
I got this last night. I heard there's a beta version to fix this. I would agree with https, and maybe a prompt showing what cert and computer you're connecting to.

Jun 22, 2019, 9:07:19 PM6/22/19
to 'Andrew Kapsch' via CommandFusion Software
Yes indeed the latest beta (v4.1.9) has a fix for this - please give it a go and let me know if it solves your problems:
http://www.commandfusion.com/wiki2/software/iviewer/installing-on-android-via-apk-sideloading

No need to change things on guiDesigner side, its all local so HTTPS is no benefit.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

Jarrod Bell

Jun 22, 2019, 9:10:28 PM6/22/19
to 'Andrew Kapsch' via CommandFusion Software
Sorry that should be 4.1.10 that has the fix.

Regards,

Jarrod Bell
CommandFusion
www.commandfusion.com

wouter grutt

Jun 23, 2019, 3:42:53 PM6/23/19
to CommandFusion Software
Thanks for the quick response!
Updating to 4.1.10 indeed fixed the error :)

Kind Regards,
Wouter