CometD and OpenTelemetry

Guven Demir

Jan 1, 2022, 6:27:21 AMJan 1
to cometd-users
Hi everyone,

I could not find any document or material about how I could integrate CometD with OpenTelemetry (or any other distributed tracing system).

I'm not a avid CometD or OpenTelemetry developer so I may have missed it, but if anyone can point me to anything I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance and a happy new year,
guven

Simone Bordet

Jan 1, 2022, 10:20:04 AMJan 1
to cometd-users
Hi,

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 12:27 PM Guven Demir <guven...@roxorgaming.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I could not find any document or material about how I could integrate CometD with OpenTelemetry (or any other distributed tracing system).
>
> I'm not a avid CometD or OpenTelemetry developer so I may have missed it, but if anyone can point me to anything I would greatly appreciate it.

It depends on what you want to do, but CometD has a number of API
"hooks" that you can leverage to get information about the messages.

You can start with the documentation.
CometD Concepts: https://docs.cometd.org/current/reference/#_concepts
CometD Extensions: https://docs.cometd.org/current/reference/#_extensions
CometD Benchmarking: https://docs.cometd.org/current/reference/#_benchmarking

In the source code, you can also find many examples of using listeners
or extensions to get time information about messages, especially in
the benchmark code.
For example: https://github.com/cometd/cometd/blob/5.0.10/cometd-java/cometd-java-benchmark/cometd-java-benchmark-server/src/main/java/org/cometd/benchmark/server/CometDLoadServer.java#L565

--
Simone Bordet
---

Guven Demir

Jan 5, 2022, 4:25:03 AMJan 5
to cometd-users
Thanks a lot for the pointers Simone, I will follow these