Jetty + JMX + remote JConsole

Prutkar

Feb 24, 2010, 10:09:13 PM2/24/10
to cometd-users
I am trying to connect to Jetty+ JMX from a remote computer using
JConsole with no success. If anybody could point to me a right
direction or mention something I am missing, it would be highly
appreciated.

I added etc/jetty-jmx.xml to the jetty start up, as well as:
-Djava.rmi.server.hostname=mydomain.com -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -
Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false -
Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8007

I opened server firewall iptables for port 8007/tcp

On my home windows PC I start jconsole and try to connect to remote
mydomain.com:8007 just to get a failure.

What am I missing?

Jetty 6.1.22, jdk1.6.0_18

thank you
Peter

Greg Wilkins

Feb 27, 2010, 9:09:24 AM2/27/10
to cometd...@googlegroups.com

Prutkar,

can you get local access to the JMX from jconsole?

Note that getting remote access always tends to be a bit
painful. I would recommend making sure you have the
same JVM on server and client machine and then you need
to follow the jconsole instructions for that same version
of the JVM precisely.

regards

Simone Bordet

Feb 27, 2010, 9:39:46 AM2/27/10
to cometd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have improved the documentation about how to make it working in
firewalled environments.
See here: http://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/branches/jetty-6.1/modules/management/src/main/config/etc/jetty-jmx.xml

The key point is to specify a port for the rmi server as well.

Simon
--
http://bordet.blogspot.com
---

Prutkar

Feb 27, 2010, 4:06:19 PM2/27/10
to cometd-users
Simone, your improved jetty-jmx.xml file content did the trick, thank
you. I can now connect with JConsole as well as JVisualVM.

PS: I still kept following in my startup script