Get Oort URL from Seti

Roman Zaynetdinov

Jul 13, 2020, 7:57:28 AM7/13/20
to cometd-users

Hi,

Is it possible to get an Oort URL from Seti using known user id for an already registered user? I see that Seti holds already that information in the form of LocalLocation/SetiLocation.

The use case I am now considering is the ability to proxy http requests to the correct node for the given user id. CometD messages are automatically forwarded to the correct node thanks to the built-in Oort/Seti support. As for the static resources we were thinking of going with a custom proxy solution and retrieve clients' instance from Seti.

In the docs I found that we can listen to presence events and collect urls ourselves. This would work as an alternative solution.

Since Seti already contains that information I was wondering if there is a specific reason for keeping Oort url hidden.

- Roman

Simone Bordet

Jul 13, 2020, 9:37:14 AM7/13/20
to cometd-users
Hi,

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 1:57 PM Roman Zaynetdinov
<roman.za...@lekane.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to get an Oort URL from Seti using known user id for an already registered user? I see that Seti holds already that information in the form of LocalLocation/SetiLocation.

The problem is that you don't get a single URL for a userId, you can have many.

> The use case I am now considering is the ability to proxy http requests to the correct node for the given user id. CometD messages are automatically forwarded to the correct node thanks to the built-in Oort/Seti support. As for the static resources we were thinking of going with a custom proxy solution and retrieve clients' instance from Seti.

If you have a load balancer, you can stick using the BAYEUX_BROWSER cookie.
That will allow to direct HTTP calls to the right node.

If you have a different URL that does not match the BAYEUX_BROWSER
cookie URL, then listening to presence events is probably best,
although you still have to figure out which URL among possible many
URL for the same userId.

> In the docs I found that we can listen to presence events and collect urls ourselves. This would work as an alternative solution.

Correct.

> Since Seti already contains that information I was wondering if there is a specific reason for keeping Oort url hidden.

Please open an issue about this - it may be worth exposing this information.
https://github.com/cometd/cometd/issues

Thanks!

--
Simone Bordet
----

Roman Zaynetdinov

Jul 14, 2020, 6:54:26 AM7/14/20
to cometd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks for the quick and detailed response!

I will create a ticket if we decide to go with this approach.

- Roman
--
-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cometd-users" group. To post to this group, send email to cometd...@googlegroups.com To unsubscribe from this group, send email to cometd-users...@googlegroups.com For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cometd-users Visit the CometD website at http://www.cometd.org --- You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "cometd-users" group. To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/cometd-users/8geplNH2xqo/unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to cometd-users...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cometd-users/CAFWmRJ0iBjvs_RE7H64UzTGOXUY%3DE-ffLWZe1BNNHKYvU89teg%40mail.gmail.com.

Roman Zaynetdinov

Aug 4, 2020, 7:44:00 AM8/4/20
to cometd-users
We decided to go with an OortMap which already exposes the owner URL for a given key.