How to measure round trip time.

Ram C

Apr 16, 2020, 6:15:26 PM4/16/20
to cometd-users
Hi Simone,

In our current setup, we use cometd without any extension on jboss application. sometimes the users on browser facing delays. is there a way to measure round trip time from the server side? wanted to check any network lags or to determine something is busy that moment.

thanks
Ram

Simone Bordet

Apr 17, 2020, 4:40:05 AM4/17/20
to cometd-users
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:15 AM Ram C <time...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Simone,
>
> In our current setup, we use cometd without any extension on jboss application. sometimes the users on browser facing delays.

Can you detail what you mean by "delays"?

> is there a way to measure round trip time from the server side?

The TimeSync extension allows a server application to retrieve the
network lag between client and server.
Once you have it installed in both client and server you can do:

serverSession.getAttribute(TimesyncExtension.LAG_ATTRIBUTE)

to retrieve the lag in milliseconds.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Ram C

Apr 17, 2020, 9:22:33 AM4/17/20
to cometd-users
For user actions we generate multiple responses in short period of time, user click on a button and see those events coming in quickly. sometimes user face long delays between events. Server log shows those are sent in normal interval.

I will take a look at TimeSync extension. Thank you!.