CometD 5.0 and CometD 6.0

Simone Bordet

May 14, 2019, 4:46:53 PM5/14/19
to cometd-users, cometd-dev
Hi,

I had initially planned to make CometD 5.0 based on JDK 11 and Jetty 10.

However, CometD 4.0 had a number of issues (in particular split
packages and hardcoded usage of the Jetty HTTP client) that made me
rethink that decision.

Therefore, CometD 5.0.x will be similar to CometD 4.0.x: it will
require JDK 8 and Jetty 9.4.x.
The big difference will be that in CometD 5.0.x the restructuring of
the packages (to avoid split packages and therefore better support
JPMS in CometD 6.0.x) will cause few Maven coordinates to change, as
well as few class will be renamed and possibly moved to a different
package.
CometD 5.0.x will have a HTTP client transport based on OkHttp,
therefore making it even more compatible with usage on Android.

The Maven coordinate changes, as well as class move/renaming, is a bit
of a work for developers, but it's for the better and will guarantee a
smoother transition to CometD 6.0.x.
The 4.0 to 5.0 migration guide will explain in details what needs to be changed.

CometD 6.0.x, in turn, will be based on JDK 11 and Jetty 10 and will
have proper JPMS modules.

CometD 5.0.x is almost ready and I will soon publish a first beta release.
With the CometD 5.0.x beta releases I won't mind early adopters to test it :)

CometD 6.0.x is a bit further in the future, since it depends on a
final release of Jetty 10.

Comments welcome!

--
Simone Bordet