USB-DUX hardware now open source

Bernd Porr

Aug 8, 2021, 1:03:21 PM8/8/21
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface

Hi all,

as most of you know here on the list I embarked on making dedicated Linux DAQ boards 15 years ago and they have been part of COEMDI / Linux. After 15 years now we are no longer manufacturing them but we've made the PCB designs open source:

I have still a few USB-DUX-sigma boards without enclosure here. That's the most recent one. Anybody interested in these please get in touch.

Best,
/Bernd

Thomas Schmidt

Mar 7, 2023, 5:30:24 AM3/7/23
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface
Hi,

is it possible to run usbdux on a raspberry pi? If so, then I'd like to buy at least one of the USB-DUX-sigma boards.

Best,
Thomas

Bernd Porr

Mar 7, 2023, 5:53:07 AM3/7/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

the PRI team has been working very hard to remove COMEDI from their
custom Kernel. They even removed the config file. I have no idea why
there is such hostility:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/534
of course you could simply copy comedi back into the kernel and that
should work.

My students tried to re-enable it recently and gave up but they are no
kernel programmers.

If there is interest I can write a generic "how to" how to patch comedi
back into the RPI kernel.

The USB-DUX-sigma is no longer on sale but I have a few (without box)
still about. You can buy them for £100+shipping. Please DM via bernd@ >>
Bernd Porr <be...@glasgowneuro.com>.

/Bernd

--
http://www.berndporr.me.uk
http://www.attys.tech

Bernd Porr

Mar 7, 2023, 6:00:23 AM3/7/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
PS: the Sigma is open source and open hardware now. You can also send
the design files to any prototyping service.
https://github.com/glasgowneuro/usbdux/tree/main/usbdux-sigma Of course
if there is larger interest I'd be happy to make a batch of them and/or
help!

Thomas Schmidt

Mar 7, 2023, 6:16:11 AM3/7/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
PS: The

attys-scope

can i.e. geophones (voltage output) be attached?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/comedi_list/57400b4f-ce0f-a19a-25cf-46d398ddf6f1%40berndporr.me.uk.

Thomas Schmidt

Mar 9, 2023, 1:21:17 AM3/9/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
God morning Bernd,

Thanks for your kind offer. I would like to buy two boxes. Please send me how this can be done.

Thank you,
Thomas

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface" group.

Bernd Porr

Mar 10, 2023, 5:30:39 AM3/10/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've extracted the comedi drivers from the vanilla LTS kernel from
kernel.org and hacked the makefiles so that it can be compiled outwidth
the kernel and then installed:

https://github.com/glasgowneuro/comedi_raspberry_pi_bullseye

It compiles the USB drivers and installs them as modules.

I've done only a quick check so far but seem to work. Anybody out there
with an RPI can try as well.

/Bernd

On 07/03/2023 10:52, Bernd Porr wrote:
www: http://www.berndporr.me.uk
http://www.tinnitustailor.tech
http://www.attys.tech
Mobile: +44 (0)7840 340069
Work: +44 (0)141 330 5237
University of Glasgow
School of Engineering
Rankine Building, Oakfield Avenue,
Glasgow, G12 8LT

Thomas Schmidt

Mar 10, 2023, 7:48:05 AM3/10/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernd,

THANK YOU for this "how too".
I installed everything accordingly but have no device that I could use for testing the comedi drivers.

Have a good weekend,
Thomas

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/comedi_list/14d075b4-746b-97eb-46c1-a4838791b5fe%40berndporr.me.uk.
Message has been deleted

Thomas Schmidt

May 7, 2023, 10:27:58 AM5/7/23
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface
Hi all,

tryed the procedure Bernd proposed on a rockpi4c+ with armbian and ended up with

usb 4-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[  301.651818] usb 4-1: New USB device found, idVendor=13d8, idProduct=0020, bcdDevice= 0.00
[  301.651863] usb 4-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
[  301.712173] comedi: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[  301.712890] comedi: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[  301.715097] comedi: version 0.7.76 - http://www.comedi.org
[  301.726392] usb 4-1: Direct firmware load for usbduxsigma_firmware.bin failed with error -2
[  301.726425] usbduxsigma 4-1:1.0: driver 'usbduxsigma' failed to auto-configure device.
[  301.726916] usbduxsigma: probe of 4-1:1.0 failed with error -2
[  301.727011] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbduxsigma

any suggestion what I did wrong?

Thanks,#
Thomas

Bernd Porr

May 7, 2023, 2:26:26 PM5/7/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

looks like the firmware file couldn't be found. Should be in /lib/firmware.

On an original RPI4 actually the whole usb driver hangs and then even the keyboard won't work any longer. Hopefully it works better on the rockpi4c. Def works on a RPI3 but that has a different USB controller (= 2.0).

Best,

/Bernd

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/comedi_list/9e1c5d60-4252-4914-9726-e5b7ef98093bn%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted

Bernd Porr

May 8, 2023, 6:49:08 AM5/8/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com

If it just needs the firmware then copy the file into /lib/firmware and it should be fine. Firmware attached.

/Bernd

On 08/05/2023 11:38, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
Hi,

this was under rockpi4plus with ubuntu. Here sudo apt install firmware-linux-free doesn't work
under /lib/firmware I could not find the usbdux firmware

tried therefore the procedure under rockpi4plus current bullseye 5.15.93 and end up with this

root@rockpi-4croot@rockpi-4cplus:/home/ts/usbdux/comedi_raspberry_pi_bullseye# make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64“ wird betreten
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel „arch/arm64/tools/gen-cpucaps.awk“,
  benötigt von „arch/arm64/include/generated/asm/cpucaps.h“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
make: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:173: archprepare] Fehler 2
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64“ wird verlassen
plus:/home/ts/usbdux/comedi_raspberry_pi_bullseye# make -C /usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64“ wird betreten
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
make[1]: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Ziel „arch/arm64/tools/gen-cpucaps.awk“,
  benötigt von „arch/arm64/include/generated/asm/cpucaps.h“, zu erstellen.  Schluss.
make: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:173: archprepare] Fehler 2
make: Verzeichnis „/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.93-rockchip64“ wird verlassen

any suggestion what I can do?

BEST
Thomas
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to comedi_list...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/comedi_list/716552cf-8ab0-49ab-8f7e-2ad72445fcbdn%40googlegroups.com.
usbduxsigma_firmware.bin

Thomas Schmidt

May 8, 2023, 6:53:39 AM5/8/23
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface
Hi,
thanks for the firmware. I am going to try it.

Rockpi4cplut + bullseye 5.15.93-Rockchip64 headers installed ... ends up as the RPI4 -> even keyboard doesn't work anymore .-( furstration.

Best,
Thomas

Thomas Schmidt

May 8, 2023, 9:29:52 AM5/8/23
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface
Hi All,

Tryed usbduxsigam_firmware.bin -> that did it on rockpi4c+ with ubuntu 23.02.2 aarch64 with

Could compile and execute comedirecord!! THANKE YOU Bernd!!

PS: comedirecord needs qtbase5-dev+qt5make!

Bernd Porr

May 8, 2023, 12:27:22 PM5/8/23
to comed...@googlegroups.com

That's excellent news. Great to know it works with the rockpi4c.

Best,

/Bernd

Thomas Schmidt

May 9, 2023, 10:18:08 AM5/9/23
to Comedi: Linux Control and Measurement Device Interface
Hi All,

works on rpi2b current version 6.1.21-v7+
works on rpi3b current version 6.1.21-v7+
doesn't work on rpi4b current verson 6.1.21-v7+

Kind Regards,
Thomas