[Bayesian Conspiracy] Hi there, again

Nathan Hwang

Feb 7, 2012, 2:49:03 AM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

A quick headcount: who's still with us? When's a good time for you all
to meet? (just fyi, I can't meet on Mondays at 8pm anymore)

And a few items...

Honestly, if you aren't already attending the Less Wrong NYC group,
then you should be, even if your attendance is sporadic as mine. It's
unlikely I'll be able to give a much greater effort into this
Columbia-based group than last semester, despite trying, so if you're
jonesing for some rationality meetings you ought to hook into the NYC
meetup.

Second, I'm going to advertise about the Columbia campus a bit. Anyone
(for which this is convenient) want to help?

So...

Let's get this party started, shall we?
Nathan

Kelly

Feb 7, 2012, 6:28:47 PM2/7/12
to Columbia Cognitive Collective
Hi,

I'm a member of this group and the larger less wrong nyc group... but
I have yet to go any meetings. Is there a way to rsvp? This has been
my main reservation because the locales seem to be apartments and
well, I don't just want to randomly show up at someone's place. Plus
I am a single mom, so my attendance really depends on babysitting - so
unfortunately, it will be sporadic. With that said, I do want to
attend and make a concerted effort to go on somewhat of a regular
basis. Thanks!

Kelly

Andrew Rettek

Feb 7, 2012, 6:54:41 PM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com

Hey Kelly,

You are welcome to show up at the appartment for any meetup. You can rsvp for a specific meetup by replying to the main thread sent out by Zvi if you want. If you want to get to know people better (or at all) before showing up, I've met with people one on one. It was mostly for the last singularity summit, but I like meeting new people.

Anyway, welcome to the broader NYC less wrong community.

Andrew

Andrew Rettek

Feb 7, 2012, 6:58:14 PM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com

It's a shame you missed the Mega Meetup last weekend, that would have been a great oppurtunity to meet is in a more open, public venue.

Kelly Provost

Feb 7, 2012, 8:15:30 PM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the welcome!  I'd love to meet up with you sometime before an organized meeting to help break the ice - that is if and when you have the time. thanks!

Kelly

Sent from my iPhone

Andrew Rettek

Feb 7, 2012, 8:46:10 PM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com

I'm free monday, wednesday, and friday afternoons, and some evenings.

Kelly Provost

Feb 7, 2012, 8:55:16 PM2/7/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
I know it's a bit in advance, but I am off from work the week of February 20th off so maybe we could meet on the afternoon of Wednesday the 22nd or Friday the 24th.

Sent from my iPhone

Laura Baur

Feb 8, 2012, 10:25:12 AM2/8/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
Welcome kelly! There are insufficient children in our community. It will be good to have you and yours.

Sent from my iPhone

Zvi Mowshowitz

Feb 8, 2012, 10:28:54 AM2/8/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
You're allowed to show up without an RSVP, although occasionally there will be something that has limited #s that needs RSVP. Definitely come by! How old are your kids? Not every meetup is kid-friendly, but I'm not opposed to experimenting with that.

Kelly Provost

Feb 8, 2012, 12:41:01 PM2/8/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!  My son is four years old. I wasn't raised in a very rational way, so of course I'm making a conscious effort to raise my son as a rational, skeptical individual.  In any case, it's all a work in progress. I'm also an elementary educator with a strong interest in incorporating skepticism into curriculum. I'd like to make a conscious effort to attend more meetings, so that's what prompted me to reach out. I'm glad to know I'm welcome!

Kelly

Sent from my iPhone
Message has been deleted

Hadiza

Mar 2, 2012, 8:44:45 AM3/2/12
to Columbia Cognitive Collective
Hi hi!

Is there a meeting this/next week?

What's the deelio?

Nathan Hwang

Mar 2, 2012, 5:41:37 PM3/2/12
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com
I'm not throwing one together this week, and the week after is spring
break for columbia.