First email

Andrew Rettek

Mar 10, 2011, 12:32:33 PM3/10/11
to columbia-cogni...@googlegroups.com

Hey all,

This is the first anouncement about Columbia rationality activities. This weekend will have two events:

1) Saturday the 12th: Public Lecture on Mysterious Answersto MysteriousQuestions sequence Presented by me.

RVSP and more details here: http://www.meetup.com/Less-Wrong-Overcoming-Bias-NYC/events/16705235/

This lecture will highlight several different ways that our reasoning process can go astray: how people can argue without disagreeing on anything, how we become attached to our beliefsand refuse to update on new evidence, how to perform actual science, and what obstacles stand in our way to achieving reliable cognition. In otherwords,we willstart learning how to update our map to match the territory.

2:30 PM Houston Street Center 273 Bowery (and Houston) Go downstairs, straight ahead through the door, and take the stairs/elevator to the top floor. Classroom 1.

2) Sunday the 13th: Inaugural meeting of new Columbia University group

This is the first meeting of Andrew Rettek's new rationality group starting at Columbia University. If you wish to contribute to the future direction of this group, or ifyou just wish to showup and express support for his efforts, you are highly encouraged to attend. Right now, the explicit focus of the group is to teach others about rationality, with a particular focus on learning about cognitive biases.

2:30 PM Mel's Burger Bar 2850 Broadway (and 111th St.)

Hope to see you there!