Row to column

1 view

Harriet Bazley

Nov 23, 2022, 6:52:50 AM11/23/22
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
How do I swivel the values from a spreadsheet row round into a
spreadsheet column so that I can sort them?

flip() simply reverses the current order of the values in a given range.

set_value(b1c1,[Sheet]b1c1) works to copy a subsection of a row, but
set_value(b1b2,[Sheet]b1c1) doesn't, as expected, copy the target range
into the destination range - it only appears to affect the first cell.

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Sir Francis Drake circumcised the world with a 100-foot clipper.

Stuart Swales

Nov 24, 2022, 4:17:32 PM11/24/22
On 23/11/2022 11:52, Harriet Bazley wrote:
> How do I swivel the values from a spreadsheet row round into a
> spreadsheet column so that I can sort them?
>
> flip() simply reverses the current order of the values in a given range.
>
> set_value(b1c1,[Sheet]b1c1) works to copy a subsection of a row, but
> set_value(b1b2,[Sheet]b1c1) doesn't, as expected, copy the target range
> into the destination range - it only appears to affect the first cell.

Hi Harriet

You want this one:

https://croftnuisk.co.uk/coltsoft-docs/fireworkz/UserGuide/content/sg06t/sg6_TRANSPOSE.htm

As you've discovered, set_value maintains row & column order. Not that
useful! Might be better for it to transpose automagically if going from
m-x-n source to n-x-m target range.

Cheers, Stuart
--
Stuart Swales

Harriet Bazley

Dec 2, 2022, 7:50:37 PM12/2/22
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
On 24 Nov 2022 as I do recall,
Stuart Swales wrote:

> On 23/11/2022 11:52, Harriet Bazley wrote:
> > How do I swivel the values from a spreadsheet row round into a
> > spreadsheet column so that I can sort them?
> >
> > flip() simply reverses the current order of the values in a given range.
> >
> > set_value(b1c1,[Sheet]b1c1) works to copy a subsection of a row, but
> > set_value(b1b2,[Sheet]b1c1) doesn't, as expected, copy the target range
> > into the destination range - it only appears to affect the first cell.
> >
> Hi Harriet
>
> You want this one:
>
> https://croftnuisk.co.uk/coltsoft-docs/fireworkz/UserGuide/content/sg06t/sg6_TRANSPOSE.htm

Thanks - I can confirm that works.

It certainly wouldn't have occurred to me to look for the feature under
matrix operations (and in fact I can't find it listed there in the
example files I have - the only occurrence of 'transpose' is in the
MineSweeper game)!

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Let a fool hold his tongue and he will pass for a sage.