Number format in a Style is ignored

david

Jul 4, 2020, 8:05:19 AM7/4/20
to Colton Software Fireworkz
I have noticed something a bit odd since updating Fireworks and Fireworkz Pro recently (v2.24.03 / v2.24.06 resp.)
I have a financial s/s which uses the number format #,##0.00 in the BaseSheet style. Entering new numbers or formulas gives a display of 123.4 rather than 123.40.
If I make the cell contain "123.4 + 0", the output looks like 123.40 as expected. There are no other number styles or effects in place. Old entries remain as expected.

Although I have a work-around, I'm sure this is a "feature" which wasn't there in previous versions. I could revert to the old versions, but am a little reluctant to do this.
Unfortunately, I cannot send you the s/s - it contains too much personal information.

Thanks for your continuing work on these RiscOS apps - it is most definitely appreciated here.

Stuart Swales

Jul 5, 2020, 4:23:23 AM7/5/20
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
On 04/07/2020 13:05, 'david' via Colton Software Fireworkz wrote:
> I have noticed something a bit odd since updating Fireworks and
> Fireworkz Pro recently (v2.24.03 / v2.24.06 resp.)
> I have a financial s/s which uses the number format *#,##0.00* in the
> BaseSheet style. Entering new numbers or formulas gives a display of
> *123.4* rather than *123.40*.
> If I make the cell contain "*123.4 + 0*", the output looks like *123.40*
> as expected. There are no other number styles or effects in place. Old
> entries remain as expected.
>
> Although I have a work-around, I'm sure this is a "feature" which wasn't
> there in previous versions. I could revert to the old versions, but am a
> little reluctant to do this.
> Unfortunately, I cannot send you the s/s - it contains too much personal
> information.
>
> Thanks for your continuing work on these RiscOS apps - it is most
> definitely appreciated here.

David, this is almost certainly down to Fireworkz now applying
AutoFormat to the numbers you have typed in. It has tried to do this
since around 1.21, but it seems that it had only previously worked when
Edit in Cell was being used.

AutoFormat attempts to use the style which best fits that typed in;
annoyingly you can't then examine which style that is within Fireworkz.

As you've worked out, AutoFormat is NOT applied to a formula, only to
data recognisable as a single number or date.

An easier workaround for now is to prefix anything typed in with an
equals sign; this has the added benefit of moving the caret to the
formula editing line too.

I will add a Choices option to the next version to allow AutoFormat to
be turned off when not wanted.

Glad that the apps are still of some use!

Stuart

--
Stuart Swales

david

Jul 5, 2020, 5:05:35 AM7/5/20
to Colton Software Fireworkz
Stuart,  once again we (Fireworkz community) are pleasantly surprised by the speed of your responses to problems.

I will take the "=" option for the time being. It is cleaner than putting "+0" after every plain number. I can confirm that this works here.
The option to disable auto-formatting will be very useful. My usual way to enter a long list of data is probably using the edit-in-cell method.
(Type a number, <ENTER> twice, selsected cell moves down, type a number ...). However, prefixing with an "=" is not too onerous.

Thanks again.
David