Editing chart series

John Harrison

Dec 1, 2021, 4:00:27 PM12/1/21
to Fireworkz support group
I've recently acquired Fireworkz Pro and have started to migrate material
from Eureka, which I've used for ~20 years. In the process I'm learning
how Fireworkz works. I've worked out how to do most things but I've run up
against a brick wall that neither reading the manual nor scouring the menus
for inspiration has solved.

I have a number of charts where several data series are shown stacked. If
the category data and the data for each series happen to be on adjacent
rows in the right order then it's easy to create the chart. But in general
they aren't.

I can create an empty chart with the category data and then 'Add' each
series, providing I do it in the right order, but that's very restrictive
and irreversible if I need to change anything.

What I expected is that somewhere I can access the series information and
then edit it, including changing the plot order and deleting a series. But
I can't find how to do that.

Regards

--
John Harrison
Website http://jaharrison.me.uk

Stuart Swales

Dec 1, 2021, 4:04:05 PM12/1/21
to Colton Software Fireworkz
That is a weak area of Fireworkz, John.
You are doing it in the right way given the current limitations.
Ideally it'd allow you to specify a disjoint selection that you could create a chart from, but it doesn't.
You're not the first to have asked, and I've just had an idea for developing that...
Stuart

Alan Adams

Dec 2, 2021, 5:25:13 AM12/2/21
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
In message <d2156fb7-4b06-45c5...@googlegroups.com>
Stuart Swales <stuart.swale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a weak area of Fireworkz, John.
> You are doing it in the right way given the current limitations.
> Ideally it'd allow you to specify a disjoint selection that you could
> create a chart from, but it doesn't.
> You're not the first to have asked, and I've just had an idea for
> developing that...
> Stuart

While you're thinking about that - I have a table where column one is a
date, and column 2 is a time. Ideally I'd like to have the X axis be
labelled with the combination of the two.

THe workaround at the moment is probably toi add them todether, but I
can't remember the scaling to adjust both - am I right in assuming that
the date is held as a number of days and the time a number of seconds?

Alan

> On Wednesday, 1 December 2021 at 21:00:27 UTC John Harrison wrote:

>> I've recently acquired Fireworkz Pro and have started to migrate material
>> from Eureka, which I've used for ~20 years. In the process I'm learning
>> how Fireworkz works. I've worked out how to do most things but I've run up
>> against a brick wall that neither reading the manual nor scouring the menus
>> for inspiration has solved.
>>
>> I have a number of charts where several data series are shown stacked. If
>> the category data and the data for each series happen to be on adjacent
>> rows in the right order then it's easy to create the chart. But in general
>> they aren't.
>>
>> I can create an empty chart with the category data and then 'Add' each
>> series, providing I do it in the right order, but that's very restrictive
>> and irreversible if I need to change anything.
>>
>> What I expected is that somewhere I can access the series information and
>> then edit it, including changing the plot order and deleting a series. But
>> I can't find how to do that.
>>
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> John Harrison
>> Website http://jaharrison.me.uk
>> Using 4té and ARMX6, both running RISC OS

--
Alan Adams

Stuart Swales

Dec 7, 2021, 6:50:01 AM12/7/21
to Colton Software Fireworkz
Yes, just add them together - no scaling is involved. I suppose for your use case you'd be really looking at having primary and optional secondary sources for labels (one above the other?) for the category axis.

Alan Adams

Dec 7, 2021, 9:33:11 AM12/7/21
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
In message <92e3083a-0b3f-4e22...@googlegroups.com>
Stuart Swales <stuart.swale...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, just add them together - no scaling is involved. I suppose for your
> use case you'd be really looking at having primary and optional secondary
> sources for labels (one above the other?) for the category axis.

Yes, that wqould be the ideal

Alan
--
Alan Adams