Names in FireworkzPro

Harriet Bazley

Jun 30, 2022, 9:48:22 AM6/30/22
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
(testing to see if this works)

I was trying to port a PipeDream sheet to FireworkzPro and came across a
very insidious problem: it is possible to have a user-defined name in
PipeDream which coincides with one of the new built-in functions in
Fireworkz. Which means that all formulae containing that name/cell
reference simply fail silently to work in the imported sheet, because
Fireworkz now sees the references as functions with bad parameters...

(What seems to me to be a bug is that both PipeDream and Fireworks will
in fact quite happily allow you to attempt to *define* names which clash
with existing functions, e.g. 'index', without this throwing up an error
of any sort at the point of creation. They even appear in the menu of
names which can be inserted into formulae. They just get interpreted as
plain text strings instead of as the defined range or value that shows
up whenever you inspect or edit them!)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely.

Stuart Swales

Jun 30, 2022, 9:52:46 AM6/30/22
to Colton Software Fireworkz
Looks to me like when it (either PipeDream or Fireworkz) has found a function name not followed by an opening parenthesis it needs to have a quick look to see if it is a user-defined name.

Harriet Bazley

Jul 1, 2022, 6:02:26 AM7/1/22
to Colton Software Fireworkz
On 30 Jun 2022 as I do recall,
Stuart Swales wrote:

> On Thursday, 30 June 2022 at 14:48:22 UTC+1 Harriet Bazley wrote:

[snip]

> > (What seems to me to be a bug is that both PipeDream and Fireworks will
> > in fact quite happily allow you to attempt to *define* names which clash
> > with existing functions, e.g. 'index', without this throwing up an error
> > of any sort at the point of creation. They even appear in the menu of
> > names which can be inserted into formulae. They just get interpreted as
> > plain text strings instead of as the defined range or value that shows
> > up whenever you inspect or edit them!)

> Looks to me like when it (either PipeDream or Fireworkz) has found a
> function name not followed by an opening parenthesis it needs to have a
> quick look to see if it is a user-defined name.

I'm not sure that user-defined names ought to be allowed to 'overlay'
existing functions, to avoid confusion, but I can see that there is
always going to be a problem with importing sheets from an application
where 'Product' is a perfectly reasonable name for a column containing a
list of products for sale into an otherwise compatible application where
product() has become a functioning keyword in its own right.... :-(

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

But I don't like Spam!!!!