A wee problem

Dave

Nov 6, 2019, 6:18:18 AM11/6/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
[I Should point out, not bladder related... ;-)]

I have to take a Eureka spreadsheet and convert it into Fireworkz... Not
in itself a particular problem as I've done it before.

The problem arises in this particular case with dates and times...

Example from the two sheets of Date and Time.

Fireworkz Eureka
Date Time24h Date Time
42,712 0.625 08/12/16 15:00
42,713 0.4791667 09/12/16 11:30
42,713 0.375 09/12/16 09:00
42,714 0.375 10/12/16 09:00
42,714 0.5104167 10/12/16 12:15

The Listing above illustrates the difficulty after the file has been
converted into Fireworkz.

There's a lot of dates and times in the sheet, how do I set a time style
or whatever that will display the date and time as should be?

Thanks
Dave

Additional info:

The Eureka sheet is converted to an Excel sheet (Dates and times show
correctly in Excel) then imported into Fireworkz 2.22.

In Fireworkz, with the exception of the dates and times, all other data is
displayed correctly.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Stuart Swales

Nov 6, 2019, 11:28:03 AM11/6/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave

Fireworkz, like PipeDream, has separate internal types for numbers and
date/times, text strings etc. There's currently no way to get Fireworkz'
style system to treat one as the other (I see a way to do that if required).

It relies on the import from Excel code to recognize cells with
appropriate date/time formatting and compose the analogous Fireworkz
formatting codes before then deciding to convert the imported number to
a date/time. If you could let me have an Excel sample, cut down as
necessary, which doesn't convert, I'd be grateful.

Stuart
--
Stuart Swales

Dave

Nov 6, 2019, 2:53:55 PM11/6/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
In article <f958d865-ea5b-763c...@gmail.com>,
Stuart Swales <stuart.swale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/2019 11:18, Dave wrote:

[Snip]

> Hi Dave

> Fireworkz, like PipeDream, has separate internal types for numbers and
> date/times, text strings etc. There's currently no way to get Fireworkz'
> style system to treat one as the other (I see a way to do that if
> required).

> It relies on the import from Excel code to recognize cells with
> appropriate date/time formatting and compose the analogous Fireworkz
> formatting codes before then deciding to convert the imported number to
> a date/time. If you could let me have an Excel sample, cut down as
> necessary, which doesn't convert, I'd be grateful.

> Stuart
> --
> Stuart Swales

Stuart, thanks for getting back...

As per your above request, I decided to make a new small sample Eureka to
Excel export file for you

I then dropped it into Fireworkz and miracles, everything Date and time
was displayed correctly...

Ooeer! What's going on here?

I took the Eureka to Excel export file I'd used earlier in the day, but
when dropped in Fireworkz, this one has the chaos Dates and times.

Why I asked myself, and after some thought, did a couple of experiments
and revealed the answer.

Earlier today I'd exported Eureka to Excel in Excel 3 format, to keep
things simple. (That's the one that fails date and time.)

This evening, I'd use the Eureka to Excel export in Excel 4 format, and
this is the one that worked.

So it seems, not a Fireworkz problem as such just an export quirk from
Eureka.

I'm now sorted.

Thanks

Dave

PS: If you'd still like a copy of a bit of the errant Excel 3, Eureka to
Excel export file I can still send.

Or even the Excel 4 to compare.

D.

--

Dave Triffid

Stuart Swales

Nov 6, 2019, 4:19:58 PM11/6/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
Glad that works! Excel 4 format is pretty much the only one I've tested
to any degree though the code is there to support earlier (and newer) Excel.

Yes, would still like to peruse the Excel 3/4 issue, so as to help
yourself and others in the future, so a couple of files from Eureka
would help.

Cheers, Stuart

--
Stuart Swales

Dave

Nov 6, 2019, 4:33:26 PM11/6/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
In article <dea6f63b-463a-361d...@gmail.com>,
Stuart Swales <stuart.swale...@gmail.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> Glad that works! Excel 4 format is pretty much the only one I've tested
> to any degree though the code is there to support earlier (and newer)
> Excel.

> Yes, would still like to peruse the Excel 3/4 issue, so as to help
> yourself and others in the future, so a couple of files from Eureka
> would help.

> Cheers, Stuart

> --
> Stuart Swales

Hi Stuart,
Sent an email and attached archive to your above noted email address.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid

Stuart Swales

Nov 7, 2019, 10:59:47 AM11/7/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - found that one quite quickly. It *was* looking for formatting
records in Excel BIFF3 files for style info and detecting date/times,
*but* it was looking for the opcode used by BIFF4 files, which wasn't
present in BIFF3 files, so date/times were never detected... Fix will be
in V2.next

Dave

Nov 7, 2019, 1:36:48 PM11/7/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
In article <6cc3df4e-3807-3ae7...@gmail.com>,
Stuart Swales <stuart.swale...@gmail.com> wrote:

[Snippy]
> Thanks - found that one quite quickly. It *was* looking for formatting
> records in Excel BIFF3 files for style info and detecting date/times,
> *but* it was looking for the opcode used by BIFF4 files, which wasn't
> present in BIFF3 files, so date/times were never detected... Fix will be
> in V2.next

> Cheers, Stuart

Gee whizz Stuart, that was a quick catch.

Well done that man.

Kudos!

Regards

Dave