Fireworkz: select all but top row

Jim Nagel

Oct 17, 2019, 8:09:21 AM10/17/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
A little niggle that has annoyed me for years ...

Often one wants to select the whole of a sheet and sort it into a
different order -- but excluding the first row, which contains the column
titles.

It would be nifty if Ctrl-A (select all) followed by an Adjust-click on
the first row would do this. But no, the Adjust-click uselessly deselects
everything from there to the bottom of the sheet.

The only way to mark the required block is to scroll all the way to the
bottom (which is a few thousand lines down in one of my sheets) and click
there.

I wonder if the desired behaviour could be achieved simply by swapping the
internal logic of "select all" so that Fireworkz in effect does the manual
equivalent of Select at the bottom of the sheet and Adjust at the top.
(The current logic being the natural Select at the top and Adjust at the
bottom.)

This would have the further benefit that the user could exclude the top
(say) three rows when the sheet has a couple of title rows as well as the
column headers.

Does that make sense? Thanks.

--
Jim Nagel www.archivemag.co.uk
|| See you at the show? www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk Oct 26

Stuart Swales

Oct 17, 2019, 9:25:21 AM10/17/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps a better idea would to add a checkbox to the Sort dialogue box
(like newer Excel) 'My data has column headers'?

Stuart
--
Stuart Swales

Jim Nagel

Oct 17, 2019, 9:36:04 AM10/17/19
Stuart Swales wrote on 17 Oct:
> Perhaps a better idea would to add a checkbox to the Sort dialogue box
> (like newer Excel) 'My data has column headers'?

Does that allow for the possibility of there being two or three rows
containing headers? (e.g. sheet title, subtitle, column labels)

Stuart Swales

Oct 17, 2019, 10:34:08 AM10/17/19
On 17/10/2019 14:35, Jim Nagel wrote:
> Stuart Swales wrote on 17 Oct:
>> Perhaps a better idea would to add a checkbox to the Sort dialogue box
>> (like newer Excel) 'My data has column headers'?
>
> Does that allow for the possibility of there being two or three rows
> containing headers? (e.g. sheet title, subtitle, column labels)

Good point. So it would be number of header rows
--
Stuart Swales

Jim Nagel

Oct 17, 2019, 11:46:27 AM10/17/19
to colton-softw...@googlegroups.com
Stuart Swales wrote on 17 Oct:

>> [Jim:] I wonder if the desired behaviour could be achieved simply by
>> swapping the internal logic of "select all" so that Fireworkz in effect
>> does the manual equivalent of Select at the bottom of the sheet and Adjust
>> at the top. (The current logic being the natural Select at the top and
>> Adjust at the bottom.)

> Perhaps a better idea would to add a checkbox to the Sort dialogue box
> (like newer Excel) 'My data has column headers'?

RiscOS already has its marvellous Adjust key on its 3-button mouse, which
could do the adjustment of the block boundary -- no need for programming a
Microsoft tickbox or any other new stuff on the user interface.
That's *if* the internal "select all" could happen bottom-to-top
rather than the present (admittedly more obvious) top-to-bottom.