New Feature: History

1 view

jonathon...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2005, 10:11:14 AM8/26/05
to GNOME Colorscheme Development
I've started implementing a new feature that keeps track of the last 10
colors that you've selected in a history list. This makes it easy to
return to a color you had previously selected. It's currently being
developed in the /branches/historylist-0.2/ branch. I'm not sure that
the implementation that I'm working on right now is the best one (I'm
only experimenting, after all), but you can get a look at what I've got
right now here:
http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/screenshots/devel/colorscheme-r190.png

It currently uses a TreeView to display the ten most recently-used
colors. This means that when you select an item from the list, it pops
to the top of the list (because, by definition, it's the most-recently
used). This is slightly disorienting perhaps, and I'm not entirely
happy with it.

There are a couple other options for implementing a 'history' feature
that I might consider yet after I make a final decision about whether
this is the correct approach or not.

a) The Same basic approach as the Treeview one, but use a ComboBox to
display the choices instead.

b) Implement something similar to web browser history (i.e. don't
necessarily provide a selectable list, but simply have a stack of
colors and provide a 'back' and 'forward' button to traverse the stack.

c) Make this 'history' completely manual. This would make it more of a
'bookmarks' feature than a history, and I may want to do this one even
if I keep the history feature. In fact, I'm beginning to think that
approach (b) and (c) together (or (a) and (c) together) might work
really well.

We'll see how it all pans out. Feel free to offer any opinions.

jonathon...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2005, 12:18:18 PM8/29/05
to GNOME Colorscheme Development
Well, this has sort of morphed into 'Favorites' instead of history at
this point (see recently-released version 0.2.1). I still plan on
implementing history similar to a web browser history referenced in my
previous email.