Agave release 0.4.2 now available

1 view

Jonathon Jongsma

Feb 15, 2007, 11:24:13 PM2/15/07
to colorsch...@googlegroups.com, gnome-ann...@gnome.org
A new Agave release 0.4.2 is now available.

What is it?
===========
Agave is a very simple application for the GNOME desktop that
allows you to generate a variety of colorschemes from a single starting
color.

It is aimed primarily toward web designers for creating pleasing color
combinations for websites.

More information can be found at http://home.gna.org/colorscheme/

Where to get it?
================
This release is available as a source package in tar.gz or tar.bz2
format
and can be downloaded from:

http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/releases/agave-0.4.2.tar.gz
which can be verified with:
http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/releases/agave-0.4.2.tar.gz.sig

or:

http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/releases/agave-0.4.2.tar.bz2
which can be verified with:
http://download.gna.org/colorscheme/releases/agave-0.4.2.tar.bz2.sig

What's Changed?
===============
This is basically a maintenance release that fixes a few bugs and
annoyances and adds a couple minor features.

* Added a dependency on libglademm and use glade for laying out the
main window instead of hand-coding everything
* Draw color swatches with cairo instead of GDK, enabling some
slightly nicer-looking color swatches.
* Remember the width of the favorites pane between sessions
* Performance improvements in palette parsing and switching between
palettes
* New User Manual for Agave, though it's still pretty basic and
unfinished.

Bugfixes
* Actually close the 'About' window when the 'close' button is
clicked

Translations
* cz (Zbyněk Mrkvička)
* zh_TW (Cheng-Wei Chien)

Martin Ereth

Feb 16, 2007, 11:46:58 AM2/16/07
Jonathon Jongsma schrieb:

> A new Agave release 0.4.2 is now available.

Great!

I updated the German translation.

Next time you plan to release a new version of agave:
Please write, if possible, a short mail to the list a week or two before the
release-date, so that I can update the German translation.
I think this procedure would be better because then you don't have some
translation-updates _after_ the release.

Just a little thing:
When I started agave as user martin, I got:
** (agave:4300): WARNING **: Can't open palette directory:
/home/martin/.local/share/agave/palettes
After creating this directory manually, the error was gone!
So maybe you can add a little request before you access this directory, whether it
exists and is writable or not.
When it doesn't exist, it should be created, when it isn't writable, hm... an error
message should appear. ;-)

What do you think of this idea? Is it realizable?

Martin

de.po

Jonathon Jongsma

Feb 16, 2007, 11:52:23 AM2/16/07
On 2/16/07, Martin Ereth <martin...@arcor.de> wrote:
> Jonathon Jongsma schrieb:
> > A new Agave release 0.4.2 is now available.
>
> Great!
>
> I updated the German translation.
>
> Next time you plan to release a new version of agave:
> Please write, if possible, a short mail to the list a week or two before the
> release-date, so that I can update the German translation.
> I think this procedure would be better because then you don't have some
> translation-updates _after_ the release.

Yes, I agree that this is a better procedure. I decided to just
release now however since I have been putting it off for so long and
if I waited longer I thought it might never happen. But yes, next
time I will announce a release early.
I might make a new release soon if I get enough updated translations
(I also got a new Dutch translation since the release)

> Just a little thing:
> When I started agave as user martin, I got:
> ** (agave:4300): WARNING **: Can't open palette directory:
> /home/martin/.local/share/agave/palettes
> After creating this directory manually, the error was gone!
> So maybe you can add a little request before you access this directory, whether it
> exists and is writable or not.
> When it doesn't exist, it should be created, when it isn't writable, hm... an error
> message should appear. ;-)

I will look into this. thanks.

--
jonner

Jonathon Jongsma

Feb 17, 2007, 11:49:33 PM2/17/07
to colorsch...@googlegroups.com
> > Just a little thing:
> > When I started agave as user martin, I got:
> > ** (agave:4300): WARNING **: Can't open palette directory:
> > /home/martin/.local/share/agave/palettes
> > After creating this directory manually, the error was gone!
> > So maybe you can add a little request before you access this directory, whether it
> > exists and is writable or not.
> > When it doesn't exist, it should be created, when it isn't writable, hm... an error
> > message should appear. ;-)

one question: when you manually created this directory, did you have
to create just the 'palettes' directory? or did you have to create
the 'agave' directory and the 'palettes' directory? I'm curious
because in the code it looks like it should create the directory if it
doesn't yet exist, so I'm not sure why this would happen...

--
jonner

Martin Ereth

Feb 18, 2007, 4:42:22 PM2/18/07
to colorsch...@googlegroups.com
Jonathon Jongsma schrieb:

Yes, you're right. I created both.

Sorry that I didn't mention that!

Martin

Jonathon Jongsma

Feb 18, 2007, 11:03:21 PM2/18/07
to colorsch...@googlegroups.com

Ahh, ok. That makes sense now. I've pushed a fix for that, so it
shouldn't happen in the future. Thanks a lot!

--
jonner