Lefthand Canyon - Sawmill turnaround?

John Lee Ellis

May 29, 2024, 2:32:23 PMMay 29
to Colorado Randonneuring
A rider has expressed a preference for keeping the course similar to recent times and turning around at Sawmill Road and descending back down Lefthand Canyon. (This was originally put in place when Hwy. 7 was closed.)

Advantages are it's a quieter route overall (vs. the Peak-to-Peak, Lyons, and Hwy. 66), and you pass by the Mtn Ftn in Hygiene.

Your preferences?

-jle

John Lee Ellis

May 29, 2024, 2:35:35 PMMay 29
to Colorado Randonneuring
P. S. Happy riders on the Front Range 1200 at Sawmill Rd.
cfr-lefthand-05-pascal-mark-mike-patrick.jpg

Kevin Klaes

May 29, 2024, 10:06:39 PMMay 29
to Colorado Randonneuring
7 is a steady enough grade descending that I find it preferable to the highway miles on 36. Peak to Peak is gorgeous.

Colin Allen

May 31, 2024, 12:47:28 PMMay 31
to John Lee Ellis, Colorado Randonneuring
I like the new route, personally. The climb up to Ward from Sawmill is tough, no doubt, but I’d prefer the additional scenery of Peak-to-Peak and St Vrain Canyon over more time spent in the plains. Plus, to take advantage of the water stop in Ward, you’d have to do that climb anyway.

Colin Allen

Email: philip.co...@gmail.com

Rashid Khan

May 31, 2024, 12:47:31 PMMay 31
to Kevin Klaes, Colorado Randonneuring
I think turning around at Sawmill really does a disservice to the reward of the Lefthand climb. It’s a shame to miss the spring water fill up, the peak to peak is stunning every single time, and since resurfacing the descent down CO-7 is buttery smooth.

Rashid

Brett Sterling

May 31, 2024, 1:06:01 PMMay 31
to Rashid Khan, Kevin Klaes, Colorado Randonneuring
I really appreciate this note - I hadn't realized where Sawmill Rd is located, so I looked it up.  I didn't ride this route when this was the turnaround, but I have a hard time imagining going that far up lefthand canyon and not going on to Ward.

Thanks for the motivation to look up what was being referred to.

Brett