Stove Prairie route change and postponement (maybe)

John Lee Ellis

Apr 16, 2024, 6:20:27 PMApr 16
to Colorado Randonneuring
(1) Based on feedback from Mike Turek, who pre-rode the route last Saturday with Debbie Bush, we are changing the return leg from Berthoud to take the I-25 frontage road. This is reflected in the new route.  Traffic in the afternoon on Rd. 1 has increased and possibly become more frenetic.  Now that the I-25 east frontage road is open again, we can take it. You will have the added "treat" of two roundabouts at I-25.  Thanks to Mike for his report.

(2) Forecast for Saturday is for wintry mix starting overnight and giving way to rain in the afternoon. So we will probably reschedule for Sunday, which looks ok. Plan to announce late Thursday, to give you time to plan.

-jle

The Yipsan and Dogma at Mishiwaka
5.jpg

John Lee Ellis

Apr 18, 2024, 10:41:35 AMApr 18
to Colorado Randonneuring
We're rescheduling the Stove Prairie 200k for Sunday, April 21. Saturday still looks like a cold, snowy, then rainy day, temp range from near freezing to 40's (lower at Stove Prairie). Sunday looks pretty nice!

See you there.

-jle

John Lee Ellis

Apr 20, 2024, 8:37:16 AMApr 20
to Rashid Khan, Colorado Randonneuring
Thanks, Rashid.  Wonderful rando weather!

-john

On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 6:20 AM Rashid Khan <rash...@gmail.com> wrote:
Still snowing at Stove Prairie. Current situation as of Saturday at 06:00
Rashid

John Lee Ellis

Apr 20, 2024, 11:03:13 AMApr 20
to Rashid Khan, Colorado Randonneuring
For any of you who are interested, here's the Larimer County site where you can find these webcam shots: https://www.larimer.gov/roads/real-time-weather#/prop/1

In my opinion, a very well done site, and network of cameras and weather monitors.

-jle

John Lee Ellis

Apr 20, 2024, 7:42:09 PMApr 20
to Colorado Randonneuring
We are on for tomorrow, but please use care:
  • There may be patches of fog, so be sure to have your lights illuminated.
  • Per the forecast, roads should be ok, but still keep an eye out for icy patches on the descent from Stove Prairie.
  • There will likely be sand on the ascent to Stove Prairie and descent.
  • As Mike has found, the cattle guard crossings on the Stove Prairie descent have gotten rougher over the years, so take extra care, slow down, and ride at a 90° angle to the grates (rather than the road).
Other than that, should be a great ride, with sun peeking out as the morning progresses!

-jle

Poudre Canyon on the pre-ride
20240412_125823.jpg