DIA EV Charging is coming!

Rick Green

Aug 20, 2013, 2:16:28 PM8/20/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com, Leon Brodie, John Milanski, Tom Franklin, Parag Andleigh, URS and Louisa Muff, Jamie Krutz, Brian Batz, Steve Blake, Eric Marschner, John Turton

Well, here is a little bit of good news, and this will make your trip to DIA a bit more reassuring…

Eric Marschner

Aug 20, 2013, 3:04:10 PM8/20/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Great so I can get to the airport and find a bunch of Volts filling the charging slots.

They need to have a concierge or something to manage the charging of vehicles.  Like Canopy Parking does.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Rick Green <rgre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Well, here is a little bit of good news, and this will make your trip to DIA a bit more reassuring…

Andre Hut

Aug 20, 2013, 3:42:18 PM8/20/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

There will be (10) ten chargers at DIA.  This is incredible.  Where in Colorado are there even two chargers next to one another?

I would not complain.  There will be volts and plug-in prius vehicles using these chargers, of course.  But, we have to live with

these vehicles as well.  I would rather have the streets filled with volts than hummers.

I suspect that these stations will be self-managed.  You may even find them ICE’d at times.  It will be infuriating.

--Andre

Eric Marschner

Aug 20, 2013, 4:03:11 PM8/20/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that DIA will have chargers.  It's just that the vehicles that park in these spots will be parked for days at a time, when realistically they only need to occupy the spot for maybe 8 hours to fully charge.

Hopefully there will be some app or something to let you know which spots are unoccupied.

Andre Hut

Aug 20, 2013, 6:50:02 PM8/20/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

I really don’t believe they would put these chargers way out in long term parking.  Do people really park for days at a time in short-term parking?  That would be a huge bill!

The ‘app’ would depend on what system gets installed.  Chargepoint has an app for that.

Eric Marschner

Aug 21, 2013, 1:14:37 AM8/21/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
The article says east and west garages, not short term parking.  I guess we really don't know... but if it's just short term parking then that seems useless to me as I'd have to stay in short term parking for 2 or 3 hours charging at $4/hr ... I'd really have to show up early to pick up someone.

We'll just have to find out.

Andre Hut

Aug 21, 2013, 2:46:09 AM8/21/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

More bad news.  It appears that these will be Level 1 chargers (120V), meant for long, long charge times.  It looks like they expect the cars to be left there for days on end.

--Andre

http://www.plugincars.com/denver-airport-shows-level-1-charging-stations-make-sense-128037.html

Tom Franklin

Aug 21, 2013, 8:27:32 AM8/21/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
They have a charger already on that level in the lot.  It is an old paddle-type charger used for the EV1.  I have never seen anyone use it, but there is a sign saying for EV use only so I have parked there before.

Rick Green

Aug 21, 2013, 9:33:41 AM8/21/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com, Tom Franklin
DIA went the cheapest route they could possibly take. First off they chose a no name EVSE company with no track record in the business. If I read the article correctly, Techtronix has never conducted a major installation before.

Anyway, if DIA had half a brain, they would install Level 2 or Level 3 chargers in the short term garage parking structures.

Moral of the story, now I STILL can't drive my LEAF from Highlands Ranch to the airport round trip to pick somebody up at arrivals.

Rick

Sent from a Motorola Droid 4 LTE 4G

I find that amazing.  I’ve never seen a paddle-type charger before.