Explanation of Walgreen's charging for electricity

Rick Green

Aug 18, 2013, 1:19:09 PM8/18/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

Andre Hut

Aug 18, 2013, 2:17:09 PM8/18/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
".Only $0.49 per KWh"

That's like saying "Only $5.00 per gallon of gas." This is complete horse
shit, and I will NOT pay 4 times the going rate for electricity.

--Andre

Sep 8, 2013, 11:23:45 AM9/8/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
I was really upset about this too but then I need to realize the proprietor is trying to make a profit. At the end of the day, it's a blessing to have these stations available which make our Leafs much more usable all across the Colorado front range

Andre Hut

Sep 8, 2013, 12:15:30 PM9/8/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
First off, Walgreens is not the entity that is running these chargers. They
simply provided the space. Offering free electricity to Walgreens customers
is no different than grocery stores that give out fuel points for their gas
driving customers.

Second, at the rate of $0.49/kwh, this amounts to a price that is actually
MORE EXPENSIVE THAN GAS. My home utility rate is about $0.12/kwh, less than
1/4 the price of Walgreens charging. It will be a cold day in you know
where before I ever charge my LEAF at a Walgreens again. So much for the
incentive to shop there.

Third, its spelled LEAF, not Leaf. LEAF is an acronym.

Andre' Hut

Rick

Sep 9, 2013, 9:07:02 PM9/9/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Isn't the most it could cost is $11.76?

24kw battery X 0.49 cents/kwh

Or am I missing something

-Rick

Andre Hut

Sep 10, 2013, 4:07:43 AM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

Rick,

You are absolutely right.  In theory, a complete charge of the Nissan LEAF battery, at 24kwh capacity would indeed cost $11.76.

Charging at home, at my local rate of $0.12/kwh, the same charge would cost me $2.88, a difference of only $8.88, but the Walgreens charger costs over 4 times as much.

But, what does that $11.76 buy you?  The typical range is about 70 miles.

Let’s compare that to my Toyota Prius, which typically gets 45mpg.  $11.76 buys 3.36 gallons of gas at $3.50/gallon.  Those 3.36 gallons will push my Prius 151.2 miles.  That’s over twice

as far as the LEAF would get using Walgreens electricity.

Let’s look at it another way.  If we assume for the moment that the LEAF is a gas car, then when the same 3.36 gallons moves us 70 miles, that is 20.83 mpg.  Of course the

LEAF is not a gas powered car.  But 20.83 mpg is ok, but not great anymore these days.  The gas car most like the LEAF is the Nissan Versa, which gets a combined mpg of 35.

I stand by my statement.  Using Walgreen’s electricity at $0.49/kwh is more expensive than gas.

--Andre

Rick Green

Sep 10, 2013, 11:16:19 AM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Andre-
Not sure where you got $0.12/kWh.

XCEL COLORADO ENERGY CHARGE(R)Residential General Service:
All kilowatts hours used per kWh
Summer Season
Tier 1 $0.04604
Tier 2 $0.09000
Medical Exemption $0.06322
Winter Season $0.04604
The summer season is June 1 through September 30 and the winter season is October 1 through May 31. The minimum service period is 12 consecutive months.

Victor

Sep 10, 2013, 11:35:49 AM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com, colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
IREA is 12.9 c/kWh without Net metering, and if U are to get Net metering it goes up to more than 30 c during the day

Sent from my iPad

Andre Hut

Sep 10, 2013, 1:53:25 PM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com

Victor,

Off my IREA (Intermountain Rural Electric Association) bill….  The exact figure is $0.12310/KWH.  Not everyone in Colorado is a customer of XCEL.

Tom Franklin

Sep 10, 2013, 2:00:44 PM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
I frankly don't care what they charge. I have used a public station
about 5 times in two years of driving a couple electric cars.

I do want them to pick a profitable rate that allows wide deployment
so that there is one nearby in an emergency. In my mind, public
charging is for emergencies as planning a trip hoping that one is not
occupied and working is foolish.

Only after wide distribution of these stations will we have
competition that will set a market rate. Until then, use whatever
rate your investors think makes expansion work.

In CA, we have had a couple networks go dark with abandoned stations.
Walgreens is doing us a favor here.

rentcolo

Sep 10, 2013, 4:04:05 PM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Well said - if runing out of juice I dont mind paying extra and having ability to charge under the circumstances is god sent. Realistically I dont ever plan on using those chargers anyway.
Quick charger in Silverthorne on the other hand is a much bigger news - cant wait for model X.

Andre Hut

Sep 10, 2013, 4:09:06 PM9/10/13
to colorado-n...@googlegroups.com
Tom,

If charging stations are going to be there only for an emergency, then yes,
they will all go out of business. I'm more concerned about the person who
goes about their business during the day and plugs-in wherever they go.
This is the person that is going to be paying the bills for these stations.
What we don't want is to set a precedent, where all new charging systems go
in at high rates. Markets will charge whatever people will pay. It's not
like there are going to be a bunch of competing charging stations at each
place one might visit. If people are willing to fork out $0.49/kwh now,
then the next system may charge $0.74 or worse. We want electric vehicles
to be cheaper to operate than gas cars. $0.49/kwh is more expensive than
gas.

Walgreens is doing us a favor by providing space for the charging stations.
They neither own or operate these stations. It would be in their own
interests to see that their customers are not raked over the coals for the
use of these stations.