2021 CHC 1200 ridewithgps files

JEFF NEWBERRY

Jun 6, 2021, 10:14:12 PM6/6/21
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Hey CHC gang,
    Has anybody helpfully divided the final route into four separate routes for day one through four? If so, could you please post your routes?

many thanks!
Jeff Newberry

Chris Argo

Jun 6, 2021, 10:34:07 PM6/6/21
to JEFF NEWBERRY, Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi Jeff. I have divided the route into 4 days based on the overnights in Walden. The four days and the original file are in this collection. https://ridewithgps.com/collections/26951?privacy_code=ZGMK5PTsn62JtcX9

See everyone in just a few weeks!

Chris

JEFF NEWBERRY

Jun 7, 2021, 10:01:45 AM6/7/21
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Awesome, Chris, just what I needed (without having to do all the work!) I'll chime in over on the planning thread with my experiences from 2014 when I get a moment.

John Lee, may I suggest that you make these routes available (with appropriate provisos) for other riders (who may not be members of this group?) I assume your cue sheet is running total of miles, not broken down into days, but even still, I'd rather do a bit of math each day than try to manage the Garmin over a single 1200K file. At Gold Rush Randonnee in 2017, we were provided with just two ridewithgps routes, the outbound and inbound. I soon discovered my Garmin would load 99% and then crap out. I reached out to Garmin guru Mark Thomas who provided a hack for this: load the course, let it get to about 25% loaded or so and then.... turn off the unit. Turn it back on and, incredibly, the route was successfully loaded, ready to use. This saved us from being stuck with only cue sheets (like the "good ol' days) for the entire ride. On a related note, I've noticed quite a number of riders who won't even bother to bring the cue sheet, relying entirely on electronic navigation. I'll keep my curmudgeonly lectures to myself and simply wish those good people the best of luck...

thank you,
Jeff

John Lee Ellis

Jun 7, 2021, 10:32:46 AM6/7/21
to JEFF NEWBERRY, Colorado High Country 1200k
Good points, Jeff.

I have now added a link to Chris's collection (thank you, Chris!) to the home page.  The pre-ride on 6/30 will hopefully reveal few if any changes - if there are any, Chris, you can update your segments (if you'd be so kind).

I will also send out an announcement later in the week.

Regards,
-john

image.png

John Lee Ellis

Jun 7, 2021, 10:34:08 AM6/7/21
to JEFF NEWBERRY, Colorado High Country 1200k
P. S. Please check out the link and let me know if you see any issues.

Chris Argo

Jun 7, 2021, 10:38:08 AM6/7/21
to John Lee Ellis, JEFF NEWBERRY, Colorado High Country 1200k
John,

I'll be happy to make any updates that are needed.

Chris

Rob Tulloh

Jul 6, 2021, 6:32:29 PM7/6/21
to Colorado High Country 1200k
I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I have an older Garmin (800) and it sometimes helps to have additional cues since it doesn't have all the bells/whistles of the newer models. I created these  routes with some additional cues and some cues indicating climbs.

Rob

P.S. As of a week ago, I have a new Garmin 1030 and I am still getting used to all the bells and whistles -- especially those I find useless.