Fixed gear riding

Jan Peter Dembinski

May 10, 2021, 8:43:24 AM5/10/21
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi All,
I've been having fun riding a fixed gear bike and have ridden a few 200k perms on it.  The last time out I was gripped with the notion of bringing it along to CO (we're driving out) and maybe giving it a go on the first day.  Any thoughts for the unwary?
Jan

Chris Argo

May 10, 2021, 9:55:52 AM5/10/21
to Jan Peter Dembinski, Colorado High Country 1200k

Jan,

I'd ask Ian Hands. I rode the High Point 600K with Ian in January of 2020. He rode his fixed gear at PBP in 2019. I remember telling me that his fixie is the fastest bike he rides. I think I saw Ian's name on the list for CHC 1200. I wouldn't be surprised if he rides his fixed gear in July. You can likely find Ian on Facebook by searching for Ian Hands, Asheville, NC.

Chris

John Lee Ellis

May 10, 2021, 10:01:01 AM5/10/21
to Chris Argo, Jan Peter Dembinski, Colorado High Country 1200k
Great idea, Chris.

In terms of terrain on the first day, much of it is ideal or reasonable for a fixie (speaking as a non-fixie rider). There are a couple of stiffer grades over Horsetooth Reservoir, and the final dozen miles to Cameron Pass have a bit more of a grade than lower down. And of course definitely have brakes.

-john lee

Jan Peter Dembinski

Jun 30, 2021, 6:51:27 PM6/30/21
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Chris and John,

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately, the issue is moot as a host of reasons persuaded me to withdraw.  On this fixed gear subject, however, I did reach out to Ian and he wisely pointed out the cons to riding one on this ride--e.g., hard to keep up on long descents.
Hope everyone has a great ride and I look forward to hearing stories from CHC '21--sooner or later.

Jan Peter

Dave Brillhart

Feb 16, 2024, 7:50:39 AMFeb 16
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi Jan! I ride a fixed gear here in Florida. Great training with the highly variable cadence due to wind and some short grades. I can't imagine FG in steep mountains. I did take that bike to California and rode an Everest up/down the famous Glass Elevator in Borrego Springs, adding up to over 29,000 ft. But I flipped the hub so I could coast down. Climbing isn't the issue. Spinning down at over 150rpm is just absurd (to me LOL), but that is better than feathering the brakes all the way down. TOTAL RESPECT to FG riders in mountains! I signed up for the 2024 edition, hope to see someone rockin' a FG there this year.