High Country 1200 - Video Project & Consent Form!

Conor O'Brian

Jun 14, 2024, 7:41:36 PMJun 14
to Colorado High Country 1200k
Hello, fellow High Country riders! Conor O'Brian here. Love seeing all the discussion about planning through these conversations - eager to meet you all and get out there next weekend!

Reaching out to loop you all into a project I've been working on surrounding this ride...

These past few weeks, I've been fundraising for a Colorado nonprofit, Return to Dirt, with a goal of getting to $10,000 by the end of June. I've partnered with Felt Bikes & Full Cycle Bikes in Boulder (where I work!) to secure a new Felt road bike that I'll ride for the High Country, and then give away to a lucky donor.

I'm also working with a videographer friend of mine, Aidan Murphy, to put together a short-form video of this entire project. Aidan will be out on course as a support vehicle, and staying with me at the Inn each night. There's a chance that another friend or two of Aidan's will pop in and out to help with filming.

As Aidan will be out on course (and at the Inn) shooting photos/video intermittently, there's a good chance that you'll find yourself on film, or in photos! As such, we've put together this photo/video consent form that we'll ask you to fill out...it has more details about our project and provides you the space to say whether or not you'd like to be involved.

All that said, Aidan and I are STOKED to get out there and get to know you all while riding or while recovering at the Inn! While the video project is fun for us, we recognize that the RIDE comes first for everyone, and we won't disrupt that focus!

Lastly - a number of the Return to Dirt crew will come out to Kremmling on day 3 (mile ~519) to say hi and have lunch. Some of their adaptive cyclists may then ride out of town with me for a few miles. The timing of this will inherently be challenging to coordinate, but know that each and every one of you is more than welcome to be a part of that!

Any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. My personal email address is obrian...@gmail.com, and cell phone is 603-707-2789.

Thanks...looking forward to meeting you all soon!

John Lee Ellis

Jun 15, 2024, 9:31:24 AMJun 15
to Conor O'Brian, Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi Everyone,

Conor and I will be speaking about this. All this is well-intended, but some of these plans could violate the Rules for Riders and cause participants to be DQd. We'll get this ironed out.

-john lee

dave.br...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 7:53:18 AMJun 17
to Colorado High Country 1200k

First glimpse of possible weather for CHC. We can’t really trust this yet, but it is somewhat indicative. Day 4 isn’t resolving yet. Day 1 at 3pm peaks in the mid 80s. Day 3 at 5am feels like 39F. No rain. Wind isn’t too bad with some nice long tailwind sections heading East.

I’ll send an update before I jump on my flight on Friday. As we all know… prepare for and expect anything.

Safe travels in a few days!

Dave

.

image001.png

dave.br...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2024, 8:26:09 AMJun 17
to Colorado High Country 1200k, John Lee Ellis

Hi John,

This might be helpful to others too… Do you know if our rooms in Walden will have microwaves and refrigerators? My typical morning routine is to make coffee and eat some dinner leftovers, an hour or so before we roll. Most hotels do these days. Thanks.

Dave

John Lee Ellis

Jun 17, 2024, 9:48:51 AMJun 17
to dave.br...@gmail.com, Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi Dave,

Some do, and some don't. (I know that's not very helpful.) I'll try to find out from our volunteers whether our rooms do.

-john

John Lee Ellis

Jun 17, 2024, 6:36:27 PMJun 17
to dave.br...@gmail.com, Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi Everyone,

We've confirmed that these rooms do have a refrigerator, microwave (and coffeemaker).

-jle

Conor O'Brian

Jun 21, 2024, 7:11:31 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to John Lee Ellis, Colorado High Country 1200k
Hi All!

John and I chatted to work through some of the details on this fundraising/video project of mine to ensure that we're sticking to the Rules for Riders...clarifying points below:

1. Filling out our video/photo consent form is NOT required...it's there to outline our project, and give you the space to discretely say that you are not interested in being involved.

2. We (Aidan + video/photo friends + me) WILL NOT intrude on your ride, and will abide by the Rules of Randonnuering (ie, no engagement with one another outside of checkpoints). Riding to completion is the ultimate focus, documenting the ride is secondary. We will do everything in our power to be discrete and unobtrusive.

3. In Kremmling, there will be a collection of adaptive athletes from Return to Dirt & High Fives Foundation (for whom I'm fundraising), but they WILL NOT ride out of town with me. It will be a fun meet and greet, but that's it. As I said previously, while timing is certainly tough to predict, you all are most welcome to be a part of that get-together!

Thanks, all...and see you soon!

Conor