Stories of Thanksgiving that show the holiday’s meaning behind bars

dia...@coloradocure.org

Nov 26, 2022, 12:25:44 PM11/26/22
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: The Marshall Project <closing...@themarshallproject.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 10:01 AM
Subject: Stories of Thanksgiving that show the holiday’s meaning behind bars

Closing Argument

This week's art is by Brian Frank. Full work below.

By Jamiles Lartey

Donate

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

By Jamiles Lartey

2022 Year-End Campaign Our journalism holds the criminal justice system more accountable. Your support helps make it possible. Donate Today

This weekend we wanted to share some of our favorite stories about Thanksgiving behind bars.

Writing for The Daily Beast, Daniel Genis recalls how Thanksgiving was “the rare time when no one could say it was just another day in prison.”

Genis, who served 10 years in a New York prison for armed robbery, describes how the ruthless racial order of his prison collapsed, for just one day every year. A day-long ritual of teams of men (segregated by race) preparing elaborate dishes by microwave eventually gave way to a short-lived moment of unity. “By the end of Thanksgiving, people from all races would eat together. They would not do so the next day, and never acknowledged that it had happened, but once a year it did.”

Similarly, Jeffrey McKee calls the holiday “one of the few times when we set aside prison politics to watch the game or play cards together.”

McKee, who is incarcerated in Washington state, describes how “guards usually look the other way” for people sharing items and dishes with one another, and how the pandemic disrupted this little respite: “There were no special spreads. We were mostly locked down.”

Back in 2020, with the holiday season unsettled by the heights of the pre-vaccine pandemic, our colleague Keri Blakinger wrote about how her first Thanksgiving in prison was the best she’d had in years. She describes how her unit pooled commissary items and contraband spices into an amazing family meal of “pasta salad, spiced cabbage, rice, yams, turkey, cranberry sauce, green beans, macaroni and cheese, and 10 or 15 different kinds of cakes and pies.”

Her memory focuses on how the day was just a little bit kinder than others. No one fought. There was teamwork, hope — even redemption.

Lastly, a digital archive of prison newspapers offers a peek into the history of the holiday behind bars, with menus from the 1960s, sporting event results from the 1980s, and a throwback to the mostly bygone era of holiday furloughs — when some incarcerated people would be released for 48 hours to spend Thanksgiving with family.

While these stories are hopefully a bit more uplifting than the usual Closing Argument fare, it’s worth remembering that food behind bars is often disgusting, and fails to meet the standards of basic nutrition. And for people behind bars, even if the holiday offers a brief reprieve from some of the worst conditions, the day after things go right back to normal.

THE BEST OF THE MARSHALL PROJECT

The high risk of arresting older adults with dementia. Arrests of people over 65 grew by nearly 30% between 2000 and 2020, while overall arrests fell almost 40%, according to our analysis. The trend is particularly fraught for people suffering from brain diseases like dementia. Our colleagues Christie Thompson and Weihua Li have the story, in collaboration with USA Today and El Paso Times.

DWB. Police in the Cleveland suburb of Bratenahl mostly pull over Black Clevelanders passing through, rather than the town's own more affluent residents, who are mostly White. Some people believe it’s a campaign of targeted harassment. Our colleagues Mark Puente, Stan Donaldson Jr., and Cid Standifer have the story, with additional reporting by News 5’s Tara Morgan.

Workers harvest corn in the pre-dawn hours in California's Central Valley in 2020. Photo by Brian Frank.

Workers harvest corn in the pre-dawn hours in California's Central Valley in 2020. Photo by Brian Frank.

Jamiles Lartey is a New Orleans-based staff writer for The Marshall Project. Previously, he worked as a reporter for the Guardian covering issues of criminal justice, race and policing. Jamiles was a member of the team behind the award-winning online database “The Counted,” tracking police violence in 2015 and 2016. In 2016, He was named “Michael J. Feeney Emerging Journalist of the Year” by the National Association of Black Journalists.

Have Feedback? Reply to this email with your thoughts.

The Marshall Project · 156 West 56th Street · Studio, 3rd Floor · New York, NY 10019 · USA