FW: What about a pilot program in your state based on Norway's Halden's max prison?

1 view

dia...@coloradocure.org

Nov 27, 2022, 10:08:48 AM11/27/22
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: Charlie Sullivan <cu...@curenational.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2022 3:25 AM
Subject: Fwd: What about a pilot program in your state based on Norway's Halden's max prison?

Dear friends, Suzie from Indiana-CURE has a video below on Norway and German prisons. Also, there is further info on the web. Finally, state legislatures are meeting shortly. You might consider finding a legislator who could introduce a bill to have a pilot program similar to Halden maximum security prison in Norway and/or the system approach that Germiany has. See especially the TED talk on the German system following the report on Halden. Charlie

Charlie, if you haven't already read it, consider reading the book Waiting for the Echo.  The author is a psychiatrist in Rhode Island who does lots of competency evaluations in prisons, thus has been in many different prisons.  She heard enough about the humanity of Norway prisons and went to visit, including Halden.  Her take on Norway reflects what this video portrays.  Norway's system --in the short-term-- costs far more than our system costs, but the unmeasurable costs saved by their incredibly lower recidivism rate makes it cost the same or less in the long run, I would think.  But until "tough on crime" and the punishment mindset changes, I don't see any changes happening here in our lifetimes.  Suzie Rimstidt, Indiana-CURE.

Suzie Rimstidt

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 3:02 AM Charlie Sullivan <cu...@curenational.org> wrote:

 "Inside the “world’s most humane” prison" on YouTube

In Norway two prisons are using a pioneering approach to drugs rehabilitation which is now being closely watched by researchers from the UK to see if it can be introduced here. Simon Israel has this report.

--

Attachments area

ReplyForward