Fwd: A reality tv show on prisons raises some interesting questions.

stephe...@comcast.net

May 30, 2024, 11:48:16 AMMay 30
to Colorado-CURE

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Chanda Daniels <in...@commonjustice.org>
To: Barb Stephenson <stephe...@comcast.net>
Date: 05/30/2024 7:05 AM MDT
Subject: A reality tv show on prisons raises some interesting questions.

Our takes on Netflix’s new show, the latest news, and more!

Netflix’s new reality show “Unlocked” follows a sheriff at the Pulaski County Regional Detention Facility as he implements a social experiment to give incarcerated men more agency. The series quickly climbed the streaming service’s top 10 list, promising viewers a closer look into incarcerated life. Yet, the hit show accomplished the opposite- it sensationalized the lives of incarcerated individuals while perpetuating harmful stereotypes. The experiment raises serious questions about ethics and accountability within our criminal legal system. With a 500% increase in the prison population over the last 40 years, our nation’s approach to addressing crime is in dire need of change. Read more in our latest op-ed in The Emancipator

The CJ Catchup

We are deeply grateful to everyone who joined us during Common Justice’s inaugural Spring Social to support our life changing work that advances solutions to violence without relying on incarceration. We know that something else is possible, and we cannot bring this vision to life without people like you. If you weren’t able to join us, but would like to support our work, you can here

Black and brown youth in NY face disproportionate incarceration rates. Despite being only 16% of the population, they make up 55% of those sentenced to prison. This is unacceptable, so the Youth Justice & Opportunities Act offers a solution by expanding record sealing and alternative sentencing options. Read more here

As we observe Mental Health Awareness Month, a glaring issue casts a long shadow over our criminal legal system—the inhumane treatment of incarcerated individuals with mental health conditions. Read more about how we must dismantle oppressive systems and protect all people’s wellness for a safer world in our latest blog.

 ICYMI

 ☀️ Extreme heat on the rise

As summer approaches, prisons and jails across the U.S. face scorching temperatures with inadequate cooling systems. Extreme heat inside correctional facilities leads to increased health risks and fatalities, yet little action has been taken to address this cruel treatment. It's time to acknowledge that prisons perpetuate harm and fail to keep people safe.

Read more here 🔗

🚨 Police transparency NOW

NYPD officer misconduct is being hidden! A recent ProPublica report found that 88% of disciplinary cases have disappeared from the NYPD’s public database since 2022, including those of high-ranking officers. This lack of transparency erodes trust and undermines public safety.

Read more here 🔗

🚫 #CloseRikers

Young adults at Rikers Island are systematically denied their legal right to education, according to a new motion filed by The Legal Aid Society. Despite a 2016 court order, many are told they can't attend school due to housing unit assignments or lack of guards.

Read more here 🔗

 Join Our Movement

Become a member! Join Common Justice to get firsthand experiences in leading our movement.

We're hiring! Join our team of dedicated staff working to advance solutions to violence.

Stay on top of the news that matters. Never miss your monthly roundup on updates, events, engagement opportunities and more with the CJ Insider! Share with your friends below ⬇️

Follow Us On Social!

If you believe you received this message in error or wish to no longer receive email from us, please unsubscribe.