Senator Bennet’s Weekly Update

Dianne Tramutola-lLawson

May 11, 2024, 10:55:23 AMMay 11
to Colora...@googlegroups.com

From: "Senator Michael Bennet" <Senator...@bennet.senate.gov>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2024 8:49 AM
Subject: Senator Bennet’s Weekly Update

A message from Senator Michael Bennet

Image

1 BIG THING: QUALIFIED AND DIVERSE JUDGES FOR COLORADO

Image

What I believe: The Senate has no more important responsibility than to confirm judges to serve on our country’s highest courts.

Looking back: Since 2021, Colorado Senator John Hickenlooper and I have recommended and confirmed five highly qualified judges to Colorado’s federal district court in record time. Justice delayed is justice denied, and I am proud of the work we have done to strengthen our Colorado courts.

What happened: Earlier this year, Senator Hickenlooper and I celebrated the bipartisan confirmation of Judge Kato Crews, following our recommendation to President Biden. This week, I was honored to attend Judge Crews’ investiture ceremony and say a few words about the newest member of the bench. With his experience, intellect, and character, I know that Judge Crews will be a remarkable addition to the court.

2. SUPPORTING TRIBAL WATER INFRASTRUCTURE

Image

What’s happening: For too long, the federal government has failed to adequately fund and maintain the Pine River Indian Irrigation Project. This project is critical for farmers and ranchers on the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and throughout southwestern Colorado.

Good news: This week, I traveled to Ignacio with Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) Commissioner Camille Calimlim Touton to announce $2.3 million in federal support for this project.

What’s next: This investment is a critical step forward, but we still have a long way to go to repair this important infrastructure. I’m working in the Senate to invest in this project and ensure the Southern Ute Indian Tribe can access the water it needs.

3. PROTECTING VETERANS’ ACCESS TO HEALTH CARE

Image

What’s happening: Many U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) health care facilities are already severely understaffed, and further cuts will increase wait times and make it harder for veterans to access care. Now, the VA plans to cut 10,000 employees across the country due to budget shortfalls.

What I believe: Colorado’s veterans have served our country admirably and deserve better. They should not be subject to continuous appointment delays or lower-quality care due to administrative issues.

What I did: Alongside Maine U.S. Senator Angus King and our bipartisan colleagues, I’m pushing Senate leaders to address this issue for our veterans and their families.

4. IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK

Click here to respond to this email.

Image Image Image

261 Russell Senate Office Building