This week on NARSOL.org

dia...@coloradocure.org

Apr 25, 2020, 2:21:32 PM4/25/20
to colora...@googlegroups.com

From: NARSOL <ad...@narsol.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 10:44 AM
Subject: This week on NARSOL.org

NARSOL logo

Latest Posts on NARSOL.org

Ramos v. Louisiana: new and fairer trials for hundreds convicted in Oregon and Louisiana

By E. King Alexander, Jr.  . . . Amidst intense political concern about the fate of Roe v. Wade (1973) particularly, and that of stare decisis (binding precedent doctrine) generally, the Supreme Court’s April 20 decision in Ramos v. Louisiana (6/3, majority opinion by Gorsuch) directly affects only criminal jury trials but also at least hundreds of felony convictions, albeit in just two states, Louisiana…Read more

Should “criminals” be left in prison to die of Covid-19? Some say yes

By Sandy . . . “Prisoner release schemes,” pronounces the heading of a piece by Stacy Washington in a Project 21 publication, “are total nonsense.” In this opinion she is joined by many state officials who, in spite of dire health warnings from the medical community, severely limit those eligible for early release or compassionate release to escape the almost…Read more

“I saw only the same quiet, gentle face I knew”

By Mark Thompson . . . My 77-year-old father is a quiet, gentle man, well-respected in the community, so we were all surprised when he was seen open-mouth kissing an 8-year-old in the backyard, in full view of neighbors and the kitchen window.  What would cause him to do a thing like that?  The victim’s parents called the police, who…Read more

Covid-19 and polygraphs

When NARSOL’s New Mexico affiliate Liberty and Justice Coalition discovered that the DOC was still requiring persons under community supervision to travel to a central location, often by public transit, and take a polygraph exam, they sent a cease and desist letter to the Corrections Department. LJC subsequently discovered that in-person sex offense group treatment sessions were also still being…Read more

A battle for all of us

By Brenda . . . Today I cancelled a membership for a state member, at his request. Cancellations happen, and we don’t question, grateful for whatever they have been able to give. But this time, we got a little note along with the request. [Your] actions have never been in accordance with my goals, which is freedom from the burden…Read more

“How much shame and suffering are enough?”

Editor’s note: This was a reply to a recent blog post on our site. After communicating with the author, the decision was made to post this as a separate blog entry. The writer wants to be known as a daughter who promotes kindness. By Jill . . . I want to thank all of the volunteers who are affiliated with…Read more

What keeps us safe? It’s sure not the sexual offense registry

Published 4/16 at Life on the List By Sandy Rozek Sex offenders have always been with us. Those who are convicted of committing rape and sexual assault and child molestation have always been punished and then released into the community. They were not registered. They did not have to “check in” with law enforcement once they were no longer on…Read more

2020 conference cancelled — webinar to replace it

Good morning; we know that you have been waiting for official word of the status of our 2020 conference. We wanted to wait until plans were solidified as much as possible before making an official announcement. We are now prepared to announce that we will be having a truncated conference in way of a webinar. The dates are Friday and…Read more

Important info about stimulus checks

Valuable information is shared via NCRSOL: https://ncrsol.org/2020/04/02/do-you-qualify-for-a-stimulus-check/ Additionally, the following memo is shared with us by Derek Logue: Since many of us work in groups that assist registered persons, it is important to pass along information about the COVID-19 stimulus checks. The only requirements for getting a check is a valid social security number, being at least age 18, not…Read more

Humans on the Registry

Phil L.

I am 35. At 23 I took a plea deal and was given a suspended sentence, spent 1.5 years in jail and then began probation. The first hurdle was making sure my son could live with me as his mother …Read more

Featured Podcast

Registry Matter - Bashing Liberals

Please note: Registry Matters is NOT a NARSOL project or entity.  It is completely independent of NARSOL.

Beware of scams targeting those on the registry

A year ago NARSOL began tracking reports of scams targeting those who are on the sex offender registry.  We are deeply concerned about this and committed to taking whatever steps we can to help protect the well-being of our members and contacts by making them aware of this situation. Read post

Join or Donate to NARSOL

It is extremely important that registrants and their family members, as well as all members of society who believe in constructive and fair laws, come together in the fight to change the oppressive sexual offense laws.

By donating or joining NARSOL, you are helping to cover the operational costs of running the organization, maintaining the websites, assisting in legislative change, support ongoing legal actions and upcoming lawsuits.  You are also supporting NARSOL's efforts to fight harmful legislation by educating our lawmakers and the public with fact-based evidence and statistics.

Do you want to support NARSOL’s advocacy every time you make a purchase on Amazon? Please consider using Amazon Smile for your Amazon transactions and every time you make a purchase a percentage of the proceeds will go directly to Vivante Espero, NARSOL’s foundation. This will not add a cent to the cost of your purchase, but it will make you feel great about supporting NARSOL’s work your passive financial support of our foundation, Vivante Espero. So please, get signed up with your Amazon account today!

NARSOL opposes dehumanizing registries and works to eliminate discrimination, banishment, and vigilantism against persons accused or convicted of sexual offenses through the use of impact litigation, public education, legislative advocacy, and media outreach in order to reintegrate and reconcile affected individuals and restore their constitutional rights.

Copyright © 2020 NARSOL All rights reserved.

 Follow us on Twitter | Follow us on Facebook

.

NARSOL | Vivante Espero

PO Box 25423
Raleigh, NC 27611