Fwd: Reminder about Hack4CO

Jason Lally

Jun 1, 2013, 11:42:26 AM6/1/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com, joanne cheng, Wendy Hawthorne
Hey Colorado Code for Communities,

A bunch of you won't see this until after the weekend, but I got this idea from Wendy Hawthorne at Groundwork Colorado.  We didn't make it in to the round of ideas for the hackathon, but I think this is a perfect civic application.  Super simple implementation with potentially powerful impact on a specific need.  Also seems like something other groups around the country would have a need for.

I've CC'd Wendy here.

Best,
Jason

Jun 4, 2013, 11:24:07 PM6/4/13
to Wendy Hawthorne, Jason Lally, colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com
This would be my approach: Make a mobile web page with a form that emails the request to the specified list of the recipients - jQuery Mobile would be great for this - http://jquerymobile.com/. There are probably better mobile frameworks out there). There would be a backend that allows admin users to analyze the requests coming in as well, so you can see how many requests have been made, where the requests have been made, etc.

If there are other Rails developers (of any levels) in the group who want to participate in creating this app, please let me know. We could also do it in Django, if there is more interest from the Python side. I am very interested in taking this on as a project.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Wendy Hawthorne <we...@groundworkcolorado.org> wrote:

Hi All,

How do I proceed with working with you to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Wendy

Justin Lewis

Jun 5, 2013, 11:27:35 AM6/5/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Hawthorne, Jason Lally

If this potential project gets posted in a public GitHub repo I can try to help when time permits…  I couldn’t dedicate a lot of time but am interested to help when I can. For selfish reasons I would lean toward the Django framework as I want to get more familiar with it.  J

Justin Lewis

wendy @ tekhne

Jun 5, 2013, 12:24:52 PM6/5/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Hawthorne, Jason Lally
Hi all,

Before you build I wanted to pass along some advice in working with crowdsourced data that will be forwarded to government agencies that I learned the hard way while working as an investigative political reporter.

Spend some serious discovery time exploring the inputs and outputs of the data:

• In what form(s) will the agency accept the data? The EPA and CDPHE are particularly fickle and will likely be skeptical of your methodology unless you really nail it down, just sayin'.

• In what ways can you ensure data integrity? Despite your best efforts, people will always find creative ways to input data slightly differently enough to either require some level of cleanup to the need for extensive standardization after the fact.

• In what ways can you provide anonymity to the data collectors via heat mapping of reports versus exact spatial coordinates? (see Ushahidi for some great SMS data collection and mapping examples)

• Then, in what ways do you need to ensure the authenticity of their individual responses?

• Finally, in what ways do you need to verify the aggregated collective intelligence reported?

• How will you ultimately output the data to: 1) the agency 2) the affected community 3) activists 4) the public?

Hope this helps. Keep me in the loop if you need any UI/UX help.

Cheers,

Wendy

wendy norris
ceo + founder :: tekhne media, inc
a digital information and media collective
720 281 9378 :: mobile

joanne cheng

Jun 8, 2013, 9:36:16 AM6/8/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com, Wendy Hawthorne, Jason Lally
Wendy Norris,

Thanks for the advice. What do you suggest we do to ensure that the data is authentic? Would requiring a phone number and address be enough?

Wendy Hawthorn,

Is there any specific format the agency needs the data? I figure if we collect the responses in an database (as the data should be collected), we can export it or format it to whatever they need.

Joanne

Max Berson

Jun 8, 2013, 7:07:11 PM6/8/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com
I have a contact a CDPHE who is not a developer, but works with a good deal of their data, and has a strong interest in both spatial information and civic projects. I'm sure she would be willing to help us with some of the methodology or format issues.

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 10:24:52AM -0600, wendy @ tekhne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Before you build I wanted to pass along some advice in working with
> crowdsourced data that will be forwarded to government agencies that I
> learned the hard way while working as an investigative political reporter.
>
> Spend some serious discovery time exploring the inputs and outputs of the
> data:
>
> • In what form(s) will the agency accept the data? The EPA and CDPHE are
> particularly fickle and will likely be skeptical of your methodology unless
> you really nail it down, just sayin'.
>
> • In what ways can you ensure data integrity? Despite your best efforts,
> people will always find creative ways to input data slightly differently
> enough to either require some level of cleanup to the need for extensive
> standardization after the fact.
>
> • In what ways can you provide anonymity to the data collectors via heat
> mapping of reports versus exact spatial coordinates? (see
> Ushahidi<http://ushahidi.com>for some great SMS data collection and
> mapping examples)
>
> • Then, in what ways do you need to ensure the authenticity of their
> individual responses?
>
> • Finally, in what ways do you need to verify the aggregated collective
> intelligence reported?
>
> • How will you ultimately output the data to: 1) the agency 2) the affected
> community 3) activists 4) the public?
>
> Hope this helps. Keep me in the loop if you need any UI/UX help.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Wendy
>

> **
> *wendy norris <http://about.me/wendynorris>*
> ceo + founder :: tekhne media, inc
> a digital information and media collective
> 720 281 9378 :: mobile
>
> ** <http://about.me/wendynorris>
> *
> *
>

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Justin Lewis <jle...@drcog.org> wrote:
>
> > If this potential project gets posted in a public GitHub repo I can try to
> > help when time permits… I couldn’t dedicate a lot of time but am
> > interested to help when I can. For selfish reasons I would lean toward the
> > Django framework as I want to get more familiar with it. J****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Justin Lewis****
> >
> > ** **

|V|
maxb...@gmail.com
42-42-42-VELO (yes, that's a phone number)