[Data Viz] Re: January Galvanize hack night results

Jason Lally

Feb 21, 2013, 8:29:20 PM2/21/13
to colorado-code-...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

It took me a bit to get to it, but I cloned and created a gh-pages branch so we could host the files on github.  If you want to hack on this or change it up some more in the future, it's a good lightweight way to see your work.  I know there's stuff to be done, but maybe you and some others can continue to look at some basic viz stuff using d3.  It could be a neat project for a couple of people to work on and learn from together.

Next hack night is this next Tuesday.  There will be a special presentation on Kinect hacks and natural user interfaces, but opportunity for folks to work on other projects if you want to explore this some more.

On a related note, I'm trying to get the Bikeshare data from BCycle and have connected with them, so maybe that's the dataset worth waiting for to do a viz project on. Also crime data is really robust and there are some static datasets that may be worth trying to visualize.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM, andy e <virtu...@gmail.com> wrote:
For me/us, not pretty results wise. I'll blame it on a mushy brain after two days at JS.Geo.

We found some rainfall/precipitation data from the USGS and wanted to maybe mash that up with wildfire-related data or something from the data.denvergov.org site. We obviously barely got out of the starting gate but could be neat if we can clean up the USGS data a bit and visualize it along with the denvergov stuff using something like D3.

Jason Lally
Director, Decision Lab
PlaceMatters