Online Zim Independence Festival this Weekend: April 16-17-18, 2021

Amy Stewart

Apr 11, 2021, 9:17:33 PM4/11/21
to colorado-coalition-for-af...@googlegroups.com, Dandemutande Listserve, Blessing Chimanga, Sheree Seretse
WHAT: Zimbabwe Independence Festival
WHEN: April 16-17-18, 2021
WHERE: Online @ kutandara.org

This month, Zimbabwe celebrates 41 years of independence!

We have a great lineup of performers from both Zimbabwe and the US to help mark this important celebration. But that’s not all! This Festival will also feature discussions, networking opportunities, workshops, a film screening, and a Tribute Concert to our fallen musical heroes.

Save the dates: Friday-Saturday-Sunday | April 16-17-18

Stay tuned for the schedule…and be ready to share this special time with our Zimbabwean family. Learn more at kutandara.org

Hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Blessing Chimanga, co-organizer
Dreams Marimba
legen...@gmail.com

Amy Stewart McIntosh, co-organizer
Kutandara Studios
a...@kutandara.com

Sheree Seretse, consultant
Anzanga Marimba
anz...@aol.com

#ZIF2021
#onlinelivesessions
#ZimIndependence
#Zimbabwe
#41years
#marimba
#mbira
#kutandara

Zim Independence Festival - poster - FINAL.jpg

Amy Stewart

Learn more about the online celebration at kutandara.org

On April 18 each year, tens of thousands of people in Zimbabwe traditionally flock to independence day festivities to honor the struggle that freed Zimbabwe from colonial rule in 1980. This year (like last) due to the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic, large group gatherings are canceled…and many of us around the world wonder what we have to celebrate: white nationalism grows, racism runs rampant, food insecurity is a reality for many, and the global climate crisis looms. And yet, there IS reason to celebrate: family, music, cooperation, compassion, and determination.

This month, Zimbabwe celebrates 41 years of independence…and we are excited to be hosting the first-ever online Zimbabwe Independence Festival. We have a great lineup of performers from both Zimbabwe and the US…but that’s not all! The Festival will also feature discussions, networking opportunities, workshops, a film screening, and a tribute concert to fallen musical heroes we’ve lost.

Let’s come together and celebrate the Zimbabwean people’s struggle and success in casting off their colonialist oppressors, and re-commit ourselves to connection, music, hope, and friendship together.

All are welcome!

Festival Schedule

Friday, April 16

Kick Off Concert
8 pm CAT | 2 pm EDT | 12 pm MDT | 11 am PDT
premiering on YouTube and facebook featuring:

  • Moscow Marimba Lions (US)
  • Evie Manhanda (ZIM)
  • Taffie Matiure (ZIM)
  • Mbira Dziva (US)
  • Lerato Molife (ZIM)

Panel Presentation: Zimbabwean Music Today, Part 2
moderated by Blessing Chimanga
9 pm CAT | 3 pm EDT | 1 pm MDT | 12 pm PDT
live on Zoom | meeting ID: 883 1278 0484

Saturday, April 17

Welcome, Introductions, Networking, and Happy Hour
6 pm CAT | 12 pm EDT | 10 am MDT | 9 am PDT
live on Zoom | meeting ID: 883 1278 0484

Workshops & Presentations
7 pm CAT | 1 pm EDT | 11 am MDT | 10 am PDT
live on Zoom | meeting ID: 883 1278 0484

Opening Concert
8 pm CAT | 2 pm EDT | 12 pm MDT | 11 am PDT
premiering on YouTube and facebook featuring:

  • Kutandara (US)
  • Chapwititi (US)
  • Jangano (US)
  • Chingodza Family (ZIM)
  • Polyphony Marimba (US)
  • Anzanga (US)
  • Mudepu Brothers (ZIM)
  • Winad Music Trust (ZIM)

Headlining Concert
9 pm CAT | 3 pm EDT | 1 pm MDT | 12 pm PDT
premiering on YouTube and facebook featuring:

  • Takapenga (US)
  • Zivanai Masango (ZIM)
  • Jacob Mafuleni (ZIM)
  • Boka Marimba (US)
  • Blessing Chimanga (ZIM)
  • Tsoro Arts (ZIM)

Sunday, April 18

Film Screening
6 pm CAT | 12 pm EDT | 10 am MDT | 9 am PDT
on YouTube

Film Discussion
moderated by Blessing Chimanga
8 pm CAT | 2 pm EDT | 12 pm MDT | 11 am PDT
live on Zoom | meeting ID: 883 1278 0484

Tribute Concert
9 pm CAT | 3 pm EDT | 1 pm MDT | 12 pm PDT
premiering on YouTube and facebook featuring:

  • Sarungano (US) in celebration of Mbuya Nehanda’s life (ZIM-RIP)
  • Sekuru Cosmas Magaya + Ambuya Beauler Dyoko (ZIM-RIP)
  • Chiwoniso (ZIM-RIP)
  • Sheasby Matiure (ZIM-RIP)
  • Dumisani Maraire (ZIM-RIP)
  • Oliver Mtukudzi (ZIM-RIP)

Festival Sponsorships & Donations

This online festival is FREE! To everyone! Please help spread the word.

And, we have a goal of raising $500 to cover the on-the-ground-expenses in Zimbabwe for fuel, permits, lighting, and film crew so that we can include as many Zimbabwean artists in the weekend concerts as possible. If we raise more than we need for expenses, we will pay the Zimbabwean performers and instructors.

If you would like to make a donation, please:

  1. use PayPal.com
  2. send money to “family and friends”
  3. use email  “moonandstar...@gmail.com
  4. with “Zim Independence Festival” in the memo line

Tatenda zvikuru!