Greatest Man in the World makes it to DVD

Moor Larkin

Jan 4, 2013, 7:02:54 PM1/4/13
to col...@googlegroups.com

Linda

Jan 4, 2013, 11:24:33 PM1/4/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
thank you thank you for this bit of data…..

carolinedunstable

Jan 5, 2013, 6:56:47 AM1/5/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
O Happy New Year and God Bless Us All!!!  Tremendous stuff!!!!!! Have pre-ordered 2day via Amazon....thank you so much Moor for the heads up....

The Unmutual

Jan 7, 2013, 6:21:50 AM1/7/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
For those that haven't seen the website as yet, proud to say that a rather large "Rafferty" article plus Episode Guide is now online at The Unmutual - http://www.theunmutual.co.uk

Hope people enjoy it!

Cheers
Rick

The Unmutual

Jan 7, 2013, 6:22:12 AM1/7/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Good old Network!!

Rick

The Unmutual

Jan 7, 2013, 6:24:06 AM1/7/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Not quite up there with "Greatest Man in the World", but "Red Reflections", the 1967 eastern europe documentary shot during the making of "The Prisoner" by Editor Eric Mival, which features a brief voiceover by none other than Patrick McGoohan, will be coming to DVD in Spring 2013. It's not available to pre-order yet, will let peeps know when it will be Smile emoticon

Cheers
Rick
Emoticon1.gif

Caroline Hammond

Jan 7, 2013, 6:51:28 PM1/7/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Well done Rick...

Emoticon1.gif

Caroline Hammond

Jan 7, 2013, 6:53:13 PM1/7/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
always enjoy my trips to The Unmutual...bags of great stuff there...

valerie h.

Jan 24, 2013, 5:16:28 PM1/24/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
highly badass, thanks rick!

valerie
--
your hair and dress in ribbons
babycakes

Moor Larkin

Feb 9, 2013, 2:06:26 PM2/9/13
to colony3

On Feb 9, 7:05 pm, Moor Larkin <moor_lar...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your
> order is on the way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to
> return an item or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on
> Amazon.co.uk.
>
> Your estimated delivery date is:
> Thursday, February 14, 2013
>
> Woo-Hoo!! Where;s the dancing Smiley?!!!..... :-D

Caroline Hammond

Feb 9, 2013, 6:58:59 PM2/9/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Got my heads up today also....so looking forward to seeing the boyo...now what about The Big Kinife and All My Sons??? They have to be out there somewhere....

The Unmutual

Feb 11, 2013, 6:26:21 AM2/11/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Series from 1960 in which he appeared in 1 episode. This looks a little like Patrick:

Rick

Linda

Feb 11, 2013, 11:31:36 PM2/11/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
it does look like a possibility…..how did you ever find this?   pretty cool….

Linda

Feb 11, 2013, 11:58:08 PM2/11/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
hi rick, looked the series up and he was in episode  36 "The Barbarian"  12 may 1960…...

The Unmutual

Feb 12, 2013, 4:52:09 AM2/12/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Yes that's right, thanks Linda! Sadly, the collectors cards for the series (of which it seems there were about 60) do not have any additional info on the rear as to the actors or episode featured on each card. It would have been nice to have discovered PMcG for definite on one.

Rick

Moor Larkin

Feb 15, 2013, 1:02:15 PM2/15/13
to colony3
There does seem good reason to think McGoohan did do a featured role
in this series, and I've thought for some while that that card could
be him. The only thing to speak against it is that I've never come
across any other reference to it over the course of journalists
writing about his career. imdb seem to have picked it up from CVTA who
started it some years ago I think. I once emailed the CTVA site but
never got any reply (not surprising). So far as I can tell "Tales of
the Vikings" never got a showing in the UK. I've found items about
"The Barbarian" in the US press but infuriatingly there was never any
cast info.

The other thing that speaks against it is that it seems to have been
filmed in 1959, and I would have thought McGoohan had enough to do
that year, but then work was his meat and drink so that is no bar
really.

Ciao, Moor

Linda

Feb 15, 2013, 5:36:13 PM2/15/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
that does seem to have been a busy year….though it aired on may 12 1960…..i have found a few references also…a tv guide listing states that he was in the barbarian episode….the series was filmed in canada so don't know what this would mean to logistics….i understand that three episodes survive but am not sure which ones, there are bits and pieces on youtube and ioffer had it listed but it is no longer available….what we need is a definitive tv guide from may 1960! the card so looks like him, as he did in the gypsy and the gentleman…i await my copy of the greatest man….at least we know he is in that….

Moor Larkin

Feb 18, 2013, 6:09:41 AM2/18/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
The series was made by Kirk Douglas' TV company BRYNA. It seems to have begun partly to utilise stock footage from Douglas' earlier Vikings movie. Further filming was done on a lake near Munich however. I've noticed that quite a few of the production people seem to have German names too.

However, maybe other filming was done in Canada, although I hadn't heard of that before. This could explain things. McGoohan went to Canada in 1959 to film "The Irish Harp". Maybe he took on the role of the Barbarian for the internal scenes at a studio while he was there. It's the sort of cameo that probably earned him some money but was not exactly likely to feature on a CV. I would guess it would have been a show of the same calibre as "Sir Lancelot"..... ;-))

A website about BRYNA also indicates that Tales of the Vikings was shown in Britain in 59/60 after all, but it must have been on the BBC I think, because I am finding no trace of it in the TV Times of the period.

Linda

Feb 19, 2013, 4:58:43 PM2/19/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
i am waiting to hear from a reliable source whether he was in this episode or not…..the person on the card sure resembles him…..looking very similar in appearance to gypsy and the gentleman….and the canadian connection makes it seem possible…hope to know something soon….

Moor Larkin

Feb 21, 2013, 6:05:27 AM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Only uber-fans such as us could possibly comment, but this one makes me think it could be him too..... :-))
Something about that posture and body-shape............

The Unmutual

Feb 21, 2013, 6:34:00 AM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
I've really been enjoying this discussion (I have created a monster hehe), it just goes to show that there's always something new to discover or investigate!

Rick

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [colony3] Is PMcG on the Tales of the Vikings Trading Cards?

Linda

Feb 21, 2013, 10:46:44 AM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
we are happy in our work…..accomplishing about the same thing as colonel saito and nicholson did…..

Linda

Feb 21, 2013, 10:55:34 AM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
i confess…that when rick posted the card…..i waited a reasonable amount of time……now it is on my desk and has been studied with a magnifying glass….i have convinced myself that it is him….madness…..

The Unmutual

Feb 21, 2013, 11:38:23 AM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Wow, well done Linda!

Rick

Feb 21, 2013, 12:11:20 PM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hehehe, yes indeed Linda you need no encouragement from me :D

Kari Banta

Feb 21, 2013, 12:33:06 PM2/21/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
All for the good of colony3! :)

Moor Larkin

Feb 22, 2013, 3:33:40 PM2/22/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
McGoohan would have had to have gone to Munich to do this. Jerome Courtland, who was the star of the Viking show, is referred to in the American press as "filming in Munich", so I think the Canadian linkage is an error. The Kirk Douglas movie was filmed in Munich - hence the continuation there for a TV series. The newspaper refers to each episode taking six days to make.

Linda

Feb 22, 2013, 11:07:35 PM2/22/13
to col...@googlegroups.com

On Feb 22, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Moor Larkin <moor_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

McGoohan would have had to have gone to Munich to do this. Jerome Courtland, who was the star of the Viking show, is referred to in the American press as "filming in Munich", so I think the Canadian linkage is an error. The Kirk Douglas movie was filmed in Munich - hence the continuation there for a TV series. The newspaper refers to each episode taking six days to make.

Linda

Feb 23, 2013, 12:26:00 AM2/23/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
i found this info from a tv listing……what do you think?   still waiting to hear from the reliable source….
On Feb 22, 2013, at 3:33 PM, Moor Larkin <moor_...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

McGoohan would have had to have gone to Munich to do this. Jerome Courtland, who was the star of the Viking show, is referred to in the American press as "filming in Munich", so I think the Canadian linkage is an error. The Kirk Douglas movie was filmed in Munich - hence the continuation there for a TV series. The newspaper refers to each episode taking six days to make.

Moor Larkin

Feb 23, 2013, 12:45:16 PM2/23/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pauline,

Yes, that's the CTVA Listing I referred to upthread. It appeared a few years ago and since then, the internet has replicated it all over the place. I once wrote and asked where their source was, but never had a reply (not surprising). A role like that might escape all mention however as it is very much a journeyman job. To be honest I had dismissed it until I came across the card image, as Rick has.

I've posted a query about this show on a couple of "archive-TV" forums but nobody has ever seemed to know much about the show one way or another. Christopher Lee is mentioned as being in one episode I think, but the only modern claim to fame for the show seems to be that Ryan O'Neal made some sort of debut in it as a "stuntman", moonlighting from his Munich college (his dad was a soldier I think).

There does seem to be reason to believe that the shows still exist as part of an archive controlled by Fox. I did come across an old press photo where Elvis Presley visited the set and is photographed with Jerome Courtland but Pat and Elvis is perhaps a step too far......... :-D

Linda

Feb 23, 2013, 11:50:27 PM2/23/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
hello moor….i remember you mentioning the listing but for some reason i thought i had discovered something fresh….thanks for all the recent details…that card has caused much to do…..if anything, the theme song on youtube is pretty catchy!

Moor Larkin

Feb 24, 2013, 6:41:20 AM2/24/13
to col...@googlegroups.com
I did find a "write-up" of the episode once, but no cast details:

* "The Barbarian" makes friends with Lief after our hero was left for dead on the battlefield. Jerome Courtland. *

At least we know that, if he was in this piece, McGoohan played a Goodie...... ;-))