BRASS TARGET ON TV

carolinedunstable

Jan 21, 2012, 7:08:21 PM1/21/12
to colony3
Just spotted in my TV mag the rarely seen Brass Target is on v.late
night on TCM, Monday 23rd. I know HE hated it but it is so rarely
shown and not available on DVD. OK, no argument it's not great
however, it had a terrific cast, good source novel, interesting
premise plus a jaunty dancing PMG. . If I remember correctly the
critics gave HIMSELF a special mention as being, " the most fun,
playing a spirited game of hunt the accent" which must make it worth
a look alone. Happy viewing!

Kari Banta

Jan 21, 2012, 10:52:51 PM1/21/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
There wasn't much of his work with which he was truly satisfied, it seems. This is definitely worth a watch, especially as McGoohan's character is a womanizer. The VHS is apparently a pan and scan, so hopefully they'll play it in widescreen!

Moor Larkin

Jan 22, 2012, 6:16:01 PM1/22/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
"McGoohan's early cameo in Brass Target, from 1978, was to end just as he finally seemed to have got the girl........"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11417707@N04/4410588809/in/photostream

pauline

Jan 22, 2012, 6:44:27 PM1/22/12
to colony3
i have owned a vhs copy of brass target for some time now and found
myself hitting the stop button after colonel macaulay reaches the end
of his sentimental journey. then after reading the rupert booth book
"not a number" thought i had better order the dvd which is
available( the copy quite adequate, email me for source if you dont
know), so it would be easier to stop and start so i could look for the
bedroom scene booth mentions where the col lasciviously observes
sophia loren as she strips for his pleasure(pg 249) that scene was
left out of both copies of my movie, this is how fiction becomes fact,
history rewritten etc. as trivial as it may be.. what actually
takes place is that the col goes back to his apt. and is met by a
young woman(cant remember her name) she entices him to have an
encounter, removes her blouse lures him to a steamy bath where he is
garroted to death, similar to an early dangerman episode (dead man
walks)but being younger he saved himself. anyway it is not a bad
movie and after a thoughful viewing have many pages of notes that i
want to put into a review on imdb but as yet have not refined it
enough to present. if you view the movie in small acts it begins to
make much more sense, there was too much information to easily follow
and absorb, so it takes repitition of various scenes for it to come
together. please tune it in on tcm at least view it til his demise.

Moor Larkin

Jan 23, 2012, 6:28:17 AM1/23/12
to colony3
I seem to recall the Col welcoming Sophia into his castle as the
Cassavetes character left, but what happened next was clearly only
known to Club Members...... :-D

Nice to see People magazine, back in 1979 knew what it was talking
about:
"Sophia Loren, despite top billing, has only a bit part. The all-star
international cast also includes Robert Vaughn, Max von Sydow and
Patrick McGoohan, who nearly steals the movie as a conniving American
officer. "
> > a look alone.  Happy viewing!- Hide quoted text -

carolinedunstable

Jan 23, 2012, 7:05:42 AM1/23/12
to colony3
Dear Kari,

Gosh! I didn't even know there was a VHS! You really would have
thought with such a cast someone wd have released a cheapo DVD
wouldn't you?

On Jan 22, 3:52 am, Kari Banta <mrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There wasn't much of his work with which he was truly satisfied, it seems. This is definitely worth a watch, especially as McGoohan's character is a womanizer. The VHS is apparently a pan and scan, so hopefully they'll play it in widescreen!
>

> On Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM, carolinedunstable wrote:
> > Just spotted in my TV mag the rarely seen Brass Target is on v.late
> > night on TCM, Monday 23rd. I know HE hated it but it is so rarely
> > shown and not available on DVD. OK, no argument it's not great
> > however, it had a terrific cast, good source novel, interesting
> > premise plus a jaunty dancing PMG. . If I remember correctly the
> > critics gave HIMSELF a special mention as being, " the most fun,
> > playing a spirited game of hunt the accent" which must make it worth
> > a look alone. Happy viewing!

carolinedunstable

Jan 23, 2012, 7:08:28 AM1/23/12
to colony3
Dear Moor,

....And another gruesome ending just like Silver Streak....

Kari Banta

Jan 23, 2012, 4:30:50 PM1/23/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Seriously! It's not the most brilliant piece in any of their careers but it is a very interesting film.

carolinedunstable

Jan 24, 2012, 4:40:16 PM1/24/12
to colony3
Hi there trollyPaulie,

I took your advice and watched right thru not just to his demise but
the end of the film. Yes, indeed no salacious strip scenes with La
Loren just a vaguely suggestive scene with the little minx who caught
him off-guard and led him, not to bubbles just a nasty end....And I am
certain that when I last watched this on terrestrial TV he did a
little dance (rather suggestive of a strip routine with his tie) to
the song on the radio "Sentimental Journey" but there we go again
fiction becoming fact........

I think the issue with the film is not that it's bad but that with
such a good cast, a cracking conspiracy theory story and a lot of
money it should have been much, much better. Nobody, in fact seemed
very engaged....performances good but not steller, direction was
workmanlike and competent, script coherent BUT blah. It was an action
movie with little action, a thrlller which didn't deliver any real
thrills. and a romance without any sizzle. The lack of suspense can't
be ascribed to the fact that you knew how it would end ...look at Day
of the Jackel, Apollo 13, Titanic etc  the fact that EVERBODY just
knew what happened didn't stop those directors/writers etc delivering
drama, action and suspense. Perhaps, it's ripe for a 3 part mini-
series remake  focusing more on the investigation, I think a lot of
background was glossed over and barely alluded to so as to get some
pace  into the story and it didn't work.

While this isn't a great movie it's perfectly adequate TV fare so what
I still can't understand is why this isn't shown more often..... I
spend a lot of time at home stuck in front of afternoon weekday
"telly" and sometimes it's like Groundhog Day, you seem to see the
same movies all the time.....the dreaded Cassandra Crossing (main
theme music used in Brass Target) seems to be on a relentless loop...I
have got to the point that I hope they DON'T survive at the end.

Sophia Loren is in that one too, looking quite magnificent and
unattainable......thinking again, perhaps she was the weak spot in
Brass Target! She's a big beautiful star playing an underwritten
part as a a slightly louche refugee working her way thru the allies,
and apparently the GIRL connecting the 3 main characters, McCauley,
the Major and Von Sydow and it just "jars." Also, PMG's cameo wasn't
that short, and was so central to the plot that I don't really think
it can be legitimtley described as a "cameo." La Loren is a displaced
person/refugee(??) who is supposedly trading her favours for her
freedom .....surely, she would have looked a bit ragged by then??  If
she was supposed to be a red herrng who could have gone either way at
the end I certainly didn't get any sense of that. Anyway, saw her in
NINE and she must be 100 and looked fantastic.

I leave you with another thought....why don't we see the magnificent
MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS, more often????  Or at all....fabulous film,
terrific music, good performances, sumptuous costumes and
locations....where is it??  Thankfully, I do have that on DVD

PS ..I'll take you up on your offer re the DVD version of Brass
Target..would love the link..

I'm obliged...

Caroline Dunstable

CarolineDunstable

On Jan 22, 11:44 pm, pauline <trollybrkte...@windstream.net> wrote:
> i have owned a vhs copy of brass target for some time now and found
> myself hitting the stop button after colonel macaulay reaches the end
> of his sentimental journey.  then after reading the rupert booth book
> "not a number" thought i had better order the dvd which is
> available( the copy quite adequate, email me for source if you dont
> know), so it would be easier to stop and start so i could look for the
> bedroom scene booth mentions where the col lasciviously observes
> sophia loren as she strips for his pleasure(pg 249) that scene was
> left out of both copies of my movie, this is how fiction becomes fact,
> history rewritten  etc. as trivial as it may be..   what actually
> takes place is that the col goes back to his apt. and is met by a
> young woman(cant remember her name) she entices him to have an
> encounter, removes her blouse lures him to a steamy bath where he is
> garroted to death, similar to an early dangerman episode (dead man
> walks)but being younger he saved himself.  anyway it is not a bad
> movie and after a thoughful viewing have many pages of notes that i
> want to put into a review on imdb but as yet have not refined it
> enough to present.  if you view

carolinedunstable

Jan 24, 2012, 4:46:25 PM1/24/12
to colony3
Dear Kari,

It was in letter box format (widescreen??) I have to bow to your
technical knowledge and it does make a difference when viewing...I
have Ice Station Zebra on dvd in widescreen and when I compare it with
my saved TV viewing (Thank you Sky+) it certainly looks so much
better.

Caroline Dunstable

On Jan 22, 3:52 am, Kari Banta <mrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There wasn't much of his work with which he was truly satisfied, it seems. This is definitely worth a watch, especially as McGoohan's character is a womanizer. The VHS is apparently a pan and scan, so hopefully they'll play it in widescreen!
>

> On Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM, carolinedunstable wrote:
> > Just spotted in my TV mag the rarely seen Brass Target is on v.late
> > night on TCM, Monday 23rd. I know HE hated it but it is so rarely
> > shown and not available on DVD. OK, no argument it's not great
> > however, it had a terrific cast, good source novel, interesting
> > premise plus a jaunty dancing PMG. . If I remember correctly the
> > critics gave HIMSELF a special mention as being, " the most fun,
> > playing a spirited game of hunt the accent" which must make it worth
> > a look alone. Happy viewing!

Kari Banta

Jan 24, 2012, 5:00:00 PM1/24/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hi Carol,

I know the VHS was pan and scan. I don't have the DVD but I believe mine is from the same source and it's widescreen. Personally I can't stand anything that's not in the proper ratio, but I'm a bit of a nut like that.

I'm constantly amazed at how few of McGoohan's works are in print. I know that there are ways to see these things, but a proper DVD transfer is a gorgeous thing. The Criterion Collection edition of All Night Long is beautiful. Would that more of his films would be treated so well!

Kari

carolinedunstable

Jan 24, 2012, 5:12:51 PM1/24/12
to colony3
Dear Kari,

Have got the Gypsy and the Gentleman? I don't know if I would
describe this transfer as gorgeous but it looks very Puka, it's worth
investing in the Gypsy and the Gentleman DVD copy from that nice
canadian source....I spent a fortune buying a "give-away" version from
a Greek magazine i.e.just like the ones we get in our Sunday
supplements, and his transfer looks just as good and I think it was
less than £10.00!!!

What I want is the Greatest Man on Earth....I have never seen it but
heard good things about it and know Rick saw it at a special
screening at Portmerion and I think we should all start lobbying. Wot
do u think?

On Jan 24, 10:00 pm, Kari Banta <mrc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Carol,
>
> I know the VHS was pan and scan. I don't have the DVD but I believe mine is from the same source and it's widescreen. Personally I can't stand anything that's not in the proper ratio, but I'm a bit of a nut like that.
>
> I'm constantly amazed at how few of McGoohan's works are in print. I know that there are ways to see these things, but a proper DVD transfer is a gorgeous thing. The Criterion Collection edition of All Night Long is beautiful. Would that more of his films would be treated so well!
>
> Kari
>

> On Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 3:46 PM, carolinedunstable wrote:
> > Dear Kari,
>
> > It was in letter box format (widescreen??) I have to bow to your
> > technical knowledge and it does make a difference when viewing...I
> > have Ice Station Zebra on dvd in widescreen and when I compare it with
> > my saved TV viewing (Thank you Sky+) it certainly looks so much
> > better.
>
> > Caroline Dunstable

Kari Banta

Jan 24, 2012, 5:21:11 PM1/24/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
I'm game to fight for any of his work to be released!

The Unmutual

Jan 25, 2012, 5:11:44 AM1/25/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to see a DVD box-set of all the PMcG TV plays which still exist
remastered and cleaned up, but I don't think sadly there's a demand for it
particularly. Perhaps Network may do something one day.

Rick

Jan 28, 2012, 7:24:46 AM1/28/12
to colony3
Dear Rick,

Wouldn't that be wonderful AND OOOOOOHHHH ...... aLL My Sons would be
great or if only the First Man on the Moon was available!!!!!!

As to Network, i spotted Armchair Theatre in their collection but it
was only a 2 disc selection from 1970....nothing from the 1950's -
60's...however some very interesting performers and plays now sadly
gone on...

But, I know that someome, somewhere must have First Man on the
Moon....he did win his BAFTA for it...and in 1959(???) awards weren't
ten a penny like today they really meant something..not just sweeties
handed out....was it you or Pauline said that they had seen all or
part of it at Portmerion?

CarolineDunstable

On Jan 25, 10:11 am, "The Unmutual" <i...@theunmutual.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd love to see a DVD box-set of all the PMcG TV plays which still exist
> remastered and cleaned up, but I don't think sadly there's a demand for it
> particularly. Perhaps Network may do something one day.
>
> Rick

> From: "carolinedunstable" <cmh....@googlemail.com>

carolinedunstable

Jan 28, 2012, 6:22:22 PM1/28/12
to colony3
Sorry Rick, confusion abounds....I meant The Greatest Man on Earth NOT
The First Man on the Moon...I got confused with my Prisoner quotes....

CarolineDunstable (terminally bewildered!)

On Jan 25, 10:11 am, "The Unmutual" <i...@theunmutual.co.uk> wrote:
> I'd love to see a DVD box-set of all the PMcG TV plays which still exist
> remastered and cleaned up, but I don't think sadly there's a demand for it
> particularly. Perhaps Network may do something one day.
>
> Rick

> From: "carolinedunstable" <cmh....@googlemail.com>

pauline

Jan 28, 2012, 7:05:06 PM1/28/12
to colony3
as jeremy clarkson would say you mean "in the world " :) and i can
relate the episode the man out there is one i always want to ad space
or moon to the title. of course if we had hard copies of all these
programs this would never happen.
> > >http://groups.google.com/group/colony3?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

The Unmutual

Jan 29, 2012, 4:56:16 AM1/29/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
Hi Caroline

Yes, it was screened at the PM2005 event in Portmeirion
(http://www.theunmutual.co.uk/pm2005.htm) so it does exist in the BFI
archives, we'll just have to keep hoping for a release one day! I think it
bwas a Screen Actors Guild award rather than a BAFTA though?

Rick

I think that's one for Moor to give a definitive answer to..,.

On Jan 29, 9:56 am, "The Unmutual" <i...@theunmutual.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Caroline
>
> Yes, it was screened at the PM2005 event in Portmeirion
> (http://www.theunmutual.co.uk/pm2005.htm) so it does exist in the BFI
> archives, we'll just have to keep hoping for a release one day! I think it
> bwas a Screen Actors Guild award rather than a BAFTA though?
>
> Rick

Dear Rick,

Well done...ooooh u are the main man...

Our target has now been identified and it is BAFTA!!!

We must mobilise and lobby like crazy...

Goodness, I wish I was still in contact with some of my old BBC
production colleagues, I was nothing grand u understand, but did work
there for approx 9 years as a Radio Production Assistant and then a TV
Production Secretary. All that was well over 20 years ago.
Unfortunately, when u get past 30, a sinister black hearse arrives,
gases u and takes u to a v. wet mysterious spot in Wales, where they
wipe all your memories .....

As to the actual award , well, I expect MOOR can give the definitive
answer but PMG is listed on their web site as their official award
winner (individual category) for 1959 for television...presumably for
T G M in the World.

Much thanks for info...

CarolineDunstable

Moor Larkin

Jan 30, 2012, 7:46:11 AM1/30/12
to colony3
On Jan 24, 9:40 pm, carolinedunstable <cmh....@googlemail.com> wrote:
I am > certain that when I last watched this on terrestrial TV he did
> little dance (rather suggestive of  a strip routine with his tie) to
> the song on the radio "Sentimental Journey" but there we go again
> fiction becoming fact........

That bit is on my dvd/vhs copy of the movie carolinedunstable, so you
speaketh truth. I guess these movies do get snipped about a bit to fit
in with schedules. Maybe, when the dvd-proper is released, the missing
footage of Sophia disrobing for the dissolute Colonel's entertainment
will be included as an "Extra"..... :-D)))))))))))))))

With regards to the BAFTA thing, that ceremony back then would only be
for movies, but the award McG got for his TV work in 1959 has become
incorporated into the BAFTA's, as that expanded to include TV work,
and their site does now show McGoohan as a BAFTA winner for that year,
although their entry is a bit ambiguous.... probably because young web-
site designers struggle to know much of what went on back
then.... :-))
http://www.bafta.org/awards-database.html?award=false&category=false&pageNo=2&year=1959
Back then, that award was casually referred to in the press as a
British TV Oscar..... so an Argentinian site used to refer to him
winning a 1959 Oscar.... :-D)))) I cannot find the link anymore, but
it included a picture of him receiving his little statuette. Of
course, he also won an Award that year from the London Theatre Critics
for Brand, so it may be that that picture was from that
ceremony....... I must see if I can find out some

Moor

The Unmutual

Feb 1, 2012, 8:56:16 AM2/1/12
to col...@googlegroups.com