He's back - Faster.... stronger?..... better?

Moor Larkin

Jan 18, 2012, 3:06:41 PM1/18/12
to colony3
http://fictionmaker.blogspot.com/2012/01/everyman-new-performances.html

The play begins a mini tour of the UK, beginning with two performances
at the ‘MidWinter LassFest’ at The Lass O’Gowrie pub, Charles Street,
Manchester on Wed and Thurs 25th & 26th January. The play will be seen
later in the year, across the UK, as part of a double bill .....

Written and performed by Brian Gorman, detailing the life of the late
theatre, television, and film star. In keeping with McGoohan’s surreal
work on ‘The Prisoner’, Everyman is a mix of the real man, and ‘Number
Six’, presented in the style of an episode of ‘The Prisoner’

Previously:
http://groups.google.com/group/colony3/browse_thread/thread/b8c39affe1d65776

carolinedunstable

Jan 18, 2012, 7:42:13 PM1/18/12
to colony3
Tks Moor for updates.....

Anyone ever thought that the Prisoner production style including sets,
pennyfarthings, costumes etc would have lent itself really well to say
The Tempest? With himself playing Prospero, Rover as Caliban etc etc.
He would have made a terrific Prospero.....Any thoughts....

Sorry not to have been on the site lately, been a bit under the
weather as has my computer....
> Previously:http://groups.google.com/group/colony3/browse_thread/thread/b8c39affe...

Moor Larkin

Jan 19, 2012, 4:53:57 AM1/19/12
to colony3
I'm not sure about roles he *should* have played, but a role I would
have loved to have seen him in was the one taken by Jack Nicholson in
"A Few Good Men". Every time I see Jack deliver this speech:

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls.
And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do
it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you
can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines.
You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know:
that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my
existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves
lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you
don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on
that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the
backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a
punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain
myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very
freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it!
I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I
suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't
give a damn what you think you're entitled to!"

I dream it's Patrick delivering it, when at the height of his
trade....... :-)
His bitterness as Johnny Cousin at the end of "All Night Long" perhaps
gives a sense of how he might have done it.

ML

valerie h.

Jan 20, 2012, 11:37:06 AM1/20/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
It's a speech Col. Rumford could deliver just fine.  It would end up being more understated and filled with a slightly disguised disgust.  I love all his line readings and delivery in that episode of Columbo so much.

your hair and dress in ribbons
babycakes

carolinedunstable

Jan 21, 2012, 2:24:02 PM1/21/12
to colony3
That for me was on of his best performances ...Not the greatest
version of Othello but surely he would have made a superb Iago in a
straight version. He made the hairs on the back of my neck prickle at
the end....My problem was that the picture quality of my version
(Carlton I think it was) was so poor I couldn't see anything...like
soup it was....I shut my eyes and pretended it was Radio. Do you have
the network version? AND if it is clear I'll order it...

carolinedunstable

Jan 21, 2012, 6:42:41 PM1/21/12
to colony3

Dear Val,
He was outstanding, as Colonel Rumford..,,it's one of my favourite
eps.....all the scenes between them just crackled... esp whem he  and
Columbo sat in solitary isolation amongst the other diners in the
hall......both funny and heartbreaking...he really nailed how
vulnerable and isolated the Colonel was...everything he did in Columbo
was so good.... .it was a real pity he didn't feel up to taking double
duties of director and star taking on the Billy Connolly role in
Murder in too Many Notes...it was a clever premise with a really good
murder but (while no refledion on the Big Yin) Billy played it just as
"PMG Lite".....Himself would have turned that into a real barnstormer
of a performance.

On Jan 20, 4:37 pm, "valerie h." <glassineb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a speech Col. Rumford could deliver just fine.  It would end up being
> more understated and filled with a slightly disguised disgust.  I love all
> his line readings and delivery in that episode of Columbo so much.
>
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Moor Larkin <moor_lar...@yahoo.co.uk>wrote:

On Jan 20, 4:37 pm, "valerie h." <glassineb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's a speech Col. Rumford could deliver just fine.  It would end up being
> more understated and filled with a slightly disguised disgust.  I love all
> his line readings and delivery in that episode of Columbo so much.

carolinedunstable

Jan 21, 2012, 6:55:23 PM1/21/12
to colony3
A further thought for you....do you think PMG could have done Jack's
role in the Shining? I really think he could have used that lone
wolf/ inner monologue, that brain constantly intriguing, playing up
the paranoia while still being understated and of course his
unpredictability to bear...he could certainly be sinister with the
best of them.....L

Moor Larkin

Jan 22, 2012, 6:23:08 PM1/22/12
to col...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, 21 January 2012 19:24:02 UTC, carolinedunstable wrote:
That for me was on of his  best performances  ...Not the greatest
version of  Othello but surely he would have made a superb Iago in a
straight version.  He made the hairs on the back of my neck prickle at
the end....My problem was that the picture quality of my  version
(Carlton I think it was) was so poor I couldn't see anything...like
soup it was....I shut my eyes and pretended it was Radio. Do you have
the network version?  AND if it is clear I'll order it...

I have a video-tape version (brand called LOOK) ... It's fine, for video. I am sure the Network version will be pristine; they only put out remastered stuff, so far as I know.

McG as the Shining guy? ... Hmmm... I guess so, but I'm not sure he would have approved of the ghosts terrorising a small child...... ;-) ..... I wonder if he ever knew Kubrick casually - via work? They were both around MGM at the same time.

carolinedunstable

Jan 24, 2012, 4:59:47 PM1/24/12
to colony3
Dear Moor,

Agreed...you are probably right about the Shining,.....

While you must admire him for sticking to his principles and his
rather strict moral codes, you just have to regret the roles he either
never contended for or turned down....can't help regretting that he
supposedly turned down the cameo as Superman's dad in the Chris Reeves
version. Would have been more quieter, more understated and tender
than Brando (and much cheaper.) Would probably have reminded a lot of
people he was still around too.

Kubrick was filming at the same studios as The Prisoner, so supposedly
they would have encountered each other....goodness with their prickly
personalities that would have been a sparky collaboration if they had
made anything together! But shoulda, coulda, woulda etc etc...

CarolineDunstable

Moor Larkin

Jan 30, 2012, 7:56:30 AM1/30/12
to colony3
Just going back to SHOULD............

I suppose he SHOULD have played the role of Stewart that Alan Bates
took, in a TV Movie of "Pack of Lies"
http://alanbates.com/abarchive/tv/pack.html

Bates played Stewart as a charmingly friendly, almost bumbling sort,
whereas I gather McGoohan played him rather more icily, onstage on
Broadway.

This old clip, left by Colony3 suggests near the end, that a video of
the Broadway stageplay existed back then, now that would be a
collectors item....... ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oMuFJNjmjo

ML