Installing colmap on ubuntu 16.04 takes 20-25gb of memory?

siddarth...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2017, 2:10:06 PM4/26/17
to COLMAP
Hi,

I have colmap running, but I want to confirm something about the installation process on ubuntu. How much memory should it be taking during the `make` process? It's taking somewhere around 20-25gb for me....this is fine on some machines, but can pose a problem for machines that are otherwise powerful enough to run colmap, but simply dont have the memory to build it. For example, I noticed that colmap only takes about a gig or two of vram when run on an sequence of 100 images. This can definitely be run on a g2 instance on AWS, but because the g2.2 instance only has 15gb of ram, I can't get colmap to build. I tried using swap space (allocated 20gb), but the build process just hangs indefinitely (or goes really really slow since I waited several hours and tried multiple times).

I wanted to see if this was reproducible by anyone else and wanted to check if I'm making any obvious errors.

Thanks!

Ce Be

Apr 26, 2017, 4:57:00 PM4/26/17
to COLMAP, siddarth...@gmail.com
are you running make with the -j option? If you parallelize make it can get up to that much RAM but it should not if you run simple make without -j.

siddarth...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2017, 5:22:51 PM4/26/17
to COLMAP, siddarth...@gmail.com
Yes I do - forgot that would increase memory requirements.

Thanks!