Retro Pi Questions

Chad Cottle

Dec 5, 2016, 10:36:25 AM12/5/16
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Hey dooooods.   I want to build a retro pi over the holiday break and I have some questions.

1)  Which raspberry pi do I buy?  There are several versions and kits and I am a bit overwhelmed about which one to choose.

2)  For those of you who have done this project, any particular controller you would recommend?  Is WiFi or USB possible?

Thanks, Chad

Chad Cottle

Dec 5, 2016, 10:56:24 AM12/5/16
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  I found the specific answer for #1.  The CanaKit.

Still interested in thoughts on controllers and WiFi, Bluetooth (not USB).  :)

David Hempy

Dec 6, 2016, 12:25:48 AM12/6/16
to coll...@googlegroups.com
The new pi's (v3, if memory serves) have Wi-Fi on board, higher specs across the board, and costs the same as the older pi.

Paul Eberhart

Dec 6, 2016, 12:44:01 AM12/6/16
to coll...@googlegroups.com
What Dave said, for emulation especially you want a Pi3 for the extra ram/cores/clock speed.

EmulationStation (The frontend RetroPi uses) does OK with any controller with at least 4 buttons and a D-pad, but the libretro emulators seem to do a better with a few more buttons (IIRC mapping "exit" on an SNES layout controller is awkward), xbox-style gamepads are good general-purpose controllers, and even the real USB ones are pretty cheap.

I've got  a couple of this http://www.banggood.com/SNES-USB-Famicom-Colored-Super-Nintendo-Controller-for-PCMAC-p-923100.html particular super cheap USB SNES-like controllers which feel ok, but have slightly short cables.  The "Retolink" offerings or knockoffs thereof offerings tend to be pretty solid for USB controllers that resemble specific consoles.

--
Paul Selegue Eberhart (PAPPP) - http://www.pappp.net/
Messages from this account may be in regard to PAPP...@gmail.com, pse...@uky.edu or pse...@engr.uky.edu.

Chad Cottle