Designing an embedded 6502 system

Kai Baker

Aug 19, 2017, 7:11:38 PM8/19/17
to collexion
Some,

I want to design a 6502 based embedded system but I don't want to rely on a supply of vintage 6502 processors. I want the reliability of having a supplier of newly fabricated processors. The only one I could really find that had what I needed is from a company called Mouser.

Anyone else know of any other place?

Kai

volci...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2017, 8:44:16 PM8/19/17
to eigen...@gmail.com, coll...@googlegroups.com
Mouser is just a supply company - like Newegg or Grainger :)

Sent mobilely

Kai Baker

Aug 19, 2017, 8:57:33 PM8/19/17
to volci...@gmail.com, coll...@googlegroups.com
Yeah don't care I'm obviously talking about the Western Design Center processor. So anyone know of anything?

Paul Eberhart

Aug 19, 2017, 9:01:05 PM8/19/17
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Holy shit, someone really is still manufacturing drop-in compatible 65c02 parts.  I can't imagine there is market space for a second-source.

Findchip suggests WDC has an exclusive distributor arrangement with Mouser.  Mouser is a top 10 electronics distributor, and I think top 5 if you discount the big Asian B2B distributors, they're not in any way disreputable, for that kind of part you'll be talking to one of that kind of distributor (Arrow, one of the Premier/Farnell brands like Newark, DigiKey or similar), because there isn't much of a retail market, and the manufacturers usually won't talk to anyone ordering less than 100,000 pcs.

On Saturday, August 19, 2017, Kai Baker eigen...@gmail.com wrote:
Some,

I want to design a 6502 based embedded system but I don't want to rely on a supply of vintage 6502 processors. I want the reliability of having a supplier of newly fabricated processors. The only one I could really find that had what I needed is from a company called Mouser.

Anyone else know of any other place?

Kai

Paul Selegue Eberhart (PAPPP) - http://www.pappp.net/
Messages from this account may be in regard to PAPP...@gmail.com, pse...@uky.edu or pse...@engr.uky.edu.

Kai Baker

Paul Eberhart

Aug 19, 2017, 9:29:18 PM8/19/17
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Most _businesses_ do their sourcing through that kind of distributor.

Unless you're doing something completely insane (like that time BMOW Steve arranged for a new run of DB19 connectors https://www.bigmessowires.com/2016/06/04/db-19-resurrecting-an-obsolete-connector/ ), any reasonable-sized project will run through distributors and not directly through manufacturers or through retail channels.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as going out of availability, WDC (who have been in that business forever, they were founded by a designer from the 6800 and 6502 projects, and  65c02 is their design) is like Zilog, their core business is maintaining availability on their obscenely obsolete microprocessor line.   They're industry-famous for pioneering the fabless model, though I really have to wonder who is still running a fab crusty enough for their needs that they can buy time on.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Kai Baker <eigen...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Kai Baker

Kai Baker

Aug 19, 2017, 10:08:59 PM8/19/17
to coll...@googlegroups.com
That story about the DB19 adapter is insane.
However, it gives me hope about, oxymoronically, the future of retro computing.