Maathai Award for Civic Participation in Sustainability - $10,000 award for high school senior

Heather Butts

Dec 30, 2014, 9:52:10 AM12/30/14
to health4youths_stud...@googlegroups.com
HUGE thank you to Steve Magid for passing this along. We highly encourage students who have been working with us on our tree stewardship projects through MillionTreesNYC to contact us if they're interested in this award.
-----
The Maathai Award for Civic Participation in Sustainability, inaugurated by The Rockefeller Foundation, The Bette Midler Family Trust, and MillionTreesNYC, is an annual $10,000 cash award granted to two New York City public high school seniors. The award was established in honor of Dr. Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize (2004), a visionary environmentalist, and founder of the Green Belt Movement, a tree-planting campaign to promote sustainable development, woman's empowerment, and democracy in Kenya.