Workshop "Ethnographies of Infrastructure"

Philipp Budka

May 9, 2023, 7:36:27 AM5/9/23
to #Colleex | Collaboratory for Ethnographic Experimentation

Dear all,

The ERC project InfraNorth is organizing a workshop entitled "Ethnographies of Infrastructure" on May 22 at the University of Vienna. Online participation is possible!

After a decade of rising popularity of treating infrastructure anthropologically, the time seems ripe to look at how we have been studying infrastructure. This workshop intends to address three critical questions in that respect:
1) What are the theoretical and methodological tools anthropology brings to the table when studying infrastructure?
2) How can the traditional anthropological focus on the spoken word and observed behavior capture human and non-human entanglements with material and non-material infrastructures?
3) How can we make use of ethnographies of local communities in a global world of infrastructure, where political and economic decisions are typically being made by external actors?

Find all details and the program online:
https://infranorth.eu/news/may-22-2023-an-infranorth-workshop-ethnographies-of-infrastructure/

All the best,

Philipp