Science Code Manifesto

Gorissen D.

Mar 23, 2012, 12:53:09 PM3/23/12
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Apparently there is also a Manifesto you can sign :)

Software is a cornerstone of science. Without software, twenty-first century science would be impossible. Without better software, science cannot progress.

But the culture and institutions of science have not yet adjusted to this reality. We need to reform them to address this challenge, by adopting these five principles:

*Code
All source code written specifically to process data for a published paper must be available to the reviewers and readers of the paper.
*Copyright
The copyright ownership and license of any released source code must be clearly stated.
*Citation
Researchers who use or adapt science source code in their research must credit the code’s creators in resulting publications.
*Credit
Software contributions must be included in systems of scientific assessment, credit, and recognition.
*Curation
Source code must remain available, linked to related materials, for the useful lifetime of the publication.

http://sciencecodemanifesto.org/

Cheers
Dirk

--
Dr. Dirk Gorissen
Systems Architect and Research Fellow

Stuart Rossiter

Apr 16, 2012, 4:40:06 AM4/16/12
to Collaborations Workshop 2012
All,

This 13 April article (in Science) also highlights the growing
awareness/agenda:
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/336/6078/159.full

(It doesn't say much IMO but it *is* in Science.)

Also, Victoria Stodden (one of the science code manifesto signatories)
looks like a very productive and interesting author on the subject:
http://www.stanford.edu/~vcs/Papers.html

Interesting in that she is a statistician (focusing on computational
data-rich approaches) but also a legal expert.

Regards,
Stuart
> E-mail: dirk.goris...@soton.ac.uk

Simon Hettrick

Apr 16, 2012, 8:53:49 AM4/16/12
to coll...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info Stuart. I've linked to the article on our news feed:
http://software.ac.uk/news/2012-04-16-argument-publishing-source-code

Regards,

Simon.

---