Free e-infrastructure summer school

Gillian Sinclair

May 14, 2012, 7:06:38 AM5/14/12
to coll...@googlegroups.com

Hello

At the SSI Collaboration Workshop I mentioned the SeIUCCR e-infrastructure summer school that is run through the same project as our Community Champions.  I said I would send on the details once registration was open and, as promised, here they are!

The summer school is fully funded including travel and accommodation and is open to all UK PhD students and post docs.  The deadline for applications is 9am Monday 11th of June.

I would be very grateful if you could distribute the details to anyone you think that may be interested as well as relevant departments, mailing lists etc.

Thank you

Gillian

SeIUCCR Using e-Infrastructure for Research Summer School 2012

12 pm Monday 13 August 2012 - 2 pm Thursday 16 August 2012.

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Do you already have a little experience working with e-Infrastructure?  Perhaps you are undertaking, or have completed, doctoral studies, and find yourself engaging with clouds or grids for the first time?

Ask yourself this: wouldn’t it be good to take some time this summer to get practical advice and hands-on support for deploying e-infrastructure in your work?

e-Infrastructure can be complex and challenging and many researchers often lack the time to learn to utilise the technology properly, technology that ultimately may save them time and increase their output. This Summer School provides researchers with the tools and expertise needed to fully exploit a vast range of resources.

The residential Summer School is a unique four day event aimed at UK doctoral and postdoctoral researchers primarily in the Engineering and Physical Sciences. It is hands on with many practical sessions to show you how you can use national e-resources and manage your software and data. Experts will be on hand to work through your individual problems in our "Ask the experts" sessions and leading researchers will explain their usage and benefits of technology.

Places are strictly limited and demand last year was exceptionally high with over 130 applications for 30 places.  All applicants are required to submit a problem or issue they are experiencing in their research that they hope can be tackled through the use of e-infrastructure.  This statement will be used in the selection of attendees for the summer school.

The Summer School is fully funded including accommodation and travel.  Applications close 9am on Monday 11th June.

Previous attendees have this to say:

"The summer school was a relaxed and friendly environment. The staff were very approachable and keen to show an interest in the attendees work. Overall it was a great experience I would recommend to anyone who has an interest in grid/cloud/HPC or who's work may benefit from such technologies.  Thanks for a great course!"

"Thanks for providing such a wonderful opportunity to attend the summer school, which really proved to be a knowledgeable experience"

"The SeIUCCR summer school provided a great opportunity for learning, communicating and networking. I would like to thank all the people who made this summer school possible."

"As a newcomer to grid research I found the summer school extremely useful....The presenters were very knowledgeable and helpful and were eager to inform on all aspects of grid computing. Some sessions involved the speakers talking individually with attendees and I found the staff gave useful advice and were very supportive of my project."

"It was useful to know how grid, cloud and high performance computing relate to one another  and over the four days I feel I became much more aware, in a less naive way, of how my research would benefit from the resources the NGS has to offer."

To apply for a place please visit the event website - http://www.ngs.ac.uk/communities/summer-school-2012

Dr Gillian Sinclair

University of Manchester
Research Computing Services