[coldsync-hackers] mail conduits

Christophe Beauregard

Jun 5, 2003, 12:03:21 AM6/5/03
to coldsync...@googlegroups.com
I've been pounding away at a pair of mail conduits, one mostly new and one a
hacked up send-mail. The goal has been to get fairly seamless two-way
e-mail working from coldsync, something that it doesn't appear to do out of
the box.

Since I seem to have nailed it down in my environment I though I'd see if
anyone else wants to lose some e-mail... Er, try them out and provide
feedback.

First, I've hacked send-mail into a proper sync conduit. I think that
actually nails down a TODO item. The only functional difference is that
items are no longer in the Outbox after a sync. The code, however, bears
little resemblance to the original.

Second, I whipped up a fetch conduit (okay, gutted imap-inbox) that sucks in
the contents of a mbox(5) format mailbox into the Inbox. That basically
encompasses everything from /var/spool/mail/<mbox> to procmail output
files. It's not smart. There's no flidding around trying to see if the
message is already on that Palm (which I don't think is really feasible
without storing a new header in the mbox messages).

I also had a go at a Mail::Box (uber perl e-mail module) fetch conduit,
which would allow for synching from mbox, maildir, pop3, imap, and even
(eventually) Exchange. The conduit looks like it should mostly work, but
Mail::Box just doesn't want to work properly on my Red Hat 8.0 box and the
bits that do work are excruitiatingly slow. If anyone has a sane Mail::Box
install and wants to play with it further, let me know.

c.

mbox-inbox
send-mail

Christophe Beauregard

Jun 5, 2003, 9:16:17 PM6/5/03
On Thursday 05 June 2003 00:03, Christophe Beauregard wrote:
> I've been pounding away at a pair of mail conduits

Still.

mbox-inbox had some minor locking problems.

send-mail was stupid in how it downloads the contents of the entire
database. dlp_ReadNextModifiedRecInCategory is the most efficient way to
sync a database, isn't it? Unfortunately, it wasn't implemented. Patch
against CVS attached.

Also attached are fixed/latest versions of mail conduits, although you'll
need the dlp_ReadNextModified patch for send-mail to work.

On a completely unrelated note... am I correct in my understanding that
coldsync doesn't do any kind of locking on the database files while
synching is going on? I ask this because I'm working on a conduit which
would benefit from just being able to go in and update the database in
.palm/backup. It would, at the least, eliminate the need for any
intermediate storage and the entire fetch conduit stage. However, it's only
feasible if coldsync and I aren't messing with the same file.

c.

dlp_NextModified.patch
send-mail
mbox-inbox