[coldsync-hackers] PalmOS 4.1 and up issues

scott leonard

May 30, 2003, 1:20:01 PM5/30/03
to coldsync...@googlegroups.com
okay, i think i'm getting up to speed on the issues here. as i understand
it, hotsync and/or netsync protocols on palmos 4.1 and up are incompatible
with previous versions. has no one reverse engineered these yet? can i
hotsync palmos 4.1 with palm desktop and hotsync 4.0 or do i have to do a
full downgrade to palmos 4.0.

what's the current status of all this on linux? i can't imagine people have
given up. i do like having my palm, i'm just tired of it syncin' to a
little windows desktop app that isn't centralized or web accessible.
_
scott

David A. Desrosiers

May 30, 2003, 1:32:14 PM5/30/03
to coldsync...@googlegroups.com, scott leonard

> okay, i think i'm getting up to speed on the issues here. as i understand
> it, hotsync and/or netsync protocols on palmos 4.1 and up are incompatible
> with previous versions.

Not sure where you heard that. PalmOS 4.0 and above has a slightly
different protocol than previous OS versions (the addition of USB support
necessitated the removal of some of the protocol layers). It works fine, and
has since about 5 months after the first USB devices hit the public market.

> has no one reverse engineered these yet?

Yes, of course.

> can i hotsync palmos 4.1 with palm desktop and hotsync 4.0 or do i have to
> do a full downgrade to palmos 4.0.

Yes. No.

> what's the current status of all this on linux? i can't imagine people
> have given up. i do like having my palm, i'm just tired of it syncin' to
> a little windows desktop app that isn't centralized or web accessible. _

What exactly are you having trouble with? What kind of Palm device?

pilot-link works with devices up to OS 5.2, and I assume ColdSync
does as well, though I haven't had the best of luck getting it working on
Linux with my m505 device.

I just added the 29 VFS functions to pilot-link here to support
reading and writing to external storage cards (SD, MemoryStick, CF), and it
works well so far in very basic testing.. We're definately not "giving up"
on the device support, but it is slow going, since none of it is really
documented.

d.