What are you using nowadays?

Michael Kear

Jan 5, 2017, 5:30:22 AM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com

If most of you have moved on from Coldspring,   what are you using for dependency injection and dependency management nowadays?

And what does your solution do that ColdSpring doesn’t?

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks

Mark Drew

Jan 5, 2017, 5:31:43 AM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Using DI/1.

And it does more autowiring without the need of endless XML files.

Mark Drew

develop • deploy • deliver

Dave Phipps

Mark Drew

Jan 5, 2017, 7:58:09 AM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com, coldspri...@googlegroups.com
“Reactor… Now there’s a name I've not heard in a long, long time."

Mark Drew

develop • deploy • deliver

On Jan 5, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Dave Phipps <phip...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 for DI/1 for new projects but still using Coldspring (and Reactor!!) for some legacy apps.
On 5 January 2017 at 10:31, Mark Drew <mark...@gmail.com>wrote:
Using DI/1.

And it does more autowiring without the need of endless XML files.

Mark Drew

<signature-image-1.png>

develop • deploy • deliver

On Jan 5, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Michael Kear <mk...@afpwebworks.com> wrote:

If most of you have moved on from Coldspring,   what are you using for dependency injection and dependency management nowadays?

And what does your solution do that ColdSpring doesn’t?

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks

Nathan Strutz

Jan 5, 2017, 10:05:08 AM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
I also have moved to DI/1. Everything I had with Fusebox changed to FW/1, so it's convenient.

Nathan Strutz

-Nathan Strutz

Brian Kotek

Jan 5, 2017, 1:40:03 PM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Out of pure curiosity, are most folks still actively building everything in CF? Or are you using other stuff for new work but maintaining older CF stuff?

Our group at Booz Allen is using Java/Grails for just about everything now, so I was just wondering what other "old-school CFers" were doing. I don't really miss CF, but I do miss the great community (and crazy conferences) that I ran with back in the late 90's and early 00's. :-)

Hope everyone is doing well.

Brian

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017, 5:30 AM Michael Kear <mk...@afpwebworks.com> wrote:

If most of you have moved on from Coldspring,   what are you using for dependency injection and dependency management nowadays?

And what does your solution do that ColdSpring doesn’t?

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks

-Nathan Strutz

Doug Boude

Jan 5, 2017, 1:56:04 PM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
we maintain and are growing a large CF app, but are also doing a lot of new development using React.

Nathan Strutz

Jan 5, 2017, 4:55:41 PM1/5/17
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Brian,

At my very large airplane/defense company, we have started the phase-out of CF. It's not going to be cheap or easy, we have hundreds of CF developers and thousands of internal and external apps built on the CF platform and running across our thousands of Adobe CF servers.

According to our enterprise architecture group, we can basically choose Java or ASP.NET for all future applications. While exceptions are generally granted for different platforms like Node.js, hosting isn't really available, and standing up a non-standard server is not cheap. We're moving into internal cloud hosting because security is far too tight to go with external clouds, and these systems will only support Java and .NET.

While this means things like Grails would be approved in a non-standard software request, most other developers would be more comfortable with vanilla Java with Spring MVC or something.

We also have difficult procurement practices. Downloading external code is not generally permitted, certainly not without a nonstandard software justification and approval. It makes sense for hyper-secure scenarios because we don't know if some software library is going to phone home or act trojan. This means we can't honestly use NPM, so most Node development is out. We have internal open source groups who are working on creating our own internal NPM registry with approved packages, but that's going to be a mess. We've done it already with Eclipse, Apache, and other big software registries.

Anyway, enough complaining. I'm helping our internal CF developers (and non-developers doing CF, five taggers, etc.) work on converting to plain HTML, SSI/SHTML, and C#/ASP.NET MVC, which is a nice platform with lots of features. So that's me. I'm going dot net.

We have about 4 years until they shut off the servers.

Nathan Strutz

--

-Nathan Strutz