JVM 1.7

Tom Chiverton

Apr 18, 2013, 4:16:22 AM4/18/13
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
The folks over in Transfer land are reporting issues parsing XML since installing the recommended v1.7 Java Virtual Machine :
http://blogs.coldfusion.com/post.cfm/new-updates-for-coldfusion-9-9-0-1-9-0-2-and-10-java-7-now-supported#comment-FB487705-B239-A863-5B84B1CB6674EB64

ColdSpring uses a lot of XML under the hood, and I was wondering if anyone has taken the 1.7 plunge yet and seen strange issues ?

Tom

Chris Blackwell

Apr 18, 2013, 6:31:36 AM4/18/13
to coldspring-users

Been running 1.7 for ages with Railo 4 and Coldspring 2 and not noticed any problems. CF may use a different library for xml parsing than Railo though.

Mark Mandel

Apr 18, 2013, 8:17:32 AM4/18/13
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
ColdSpring 2 uses the native java libraries for parsing XML - it doesn't use XPath() or XMLParse() - which seem to be some of underlying issue.

Brian G

Apr 19, 2013, 1:14:49 AM4/19/13

On Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:17:32 AM UTC-7, Mark Mandel wrote:
ColdSpring 2 uses the native java libraries for parsing XML - it doesn't use XPath() or XMLParse() - which seem to be some of underlying issue.

The commonality in my issues is xmlSearch().  While Coldspring 1.2 uses it, it's only on startup when it finds imports in the CS file.  Transfer repeatedly uses xmlSearch against an in-memory copy of the configuration file that's been loaded.  This is what is getting corrupted/lost in my testing with CF10 Enterprise/Java 7 64-bit on Linux.

As I documented in my Transfer group thread, there is no simple test case to cause the behavior but once the in-memory XML object is broken/corrupt, I can reliably parse it and tell that it doesn't have the proper nodes.  The most common error is that I would receive Stack Overflows trying to walk the tree.  The parser would get hung up on getting the next node and in a loop.

I downgraded to Java 6 after 2 weeks of chasing my tail and I haven't had one error in the past week.  Frustrating waste of time...

Brian

Tom Chiverton

Apr 19, 2013, 8:52:24 AM4/19/13
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the extra details Brian...

Tom

Brian Klaas

Jul 11, 2013, 8:43:17 AM7/11/13
to coldspri...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone seen if the latest 1.7_25 JVM has resolved this issue?